why doesnt a big buck 28000 have firebrick???!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weezer4117

Feeling the Heat
Dec 23, 2008
central In
i just picked up a big buck 28000 and to my surprise it doesnt have firebrick, why not? im sure there is a logical reason. it seems like every stove/insert i have seen had firebrick inside? any input?

A lot of the big tanks back in the 70s and 80s didn't have firebricks. My Sierra insert that was about he size of the big Buck didn't have them except in the floor of the firebox.

Anybody that designed them that could tell you why is probably drooling in their soup in the old folks home by now. :lol: Best guess is that they wanted the heat transfer out of the stove and didn't have to be concerned with heat retention for secondary burn like the EPA stoves of today.

I have burned a small buck 26000 for over 25 years. It came with bottom and corner (sides and back) refractory brick. The manual says you have to use them with a coal grate and coal. Doesn't say anything else. I have never used mine and never had any evidence that it hurt anything. In fact, I know of at least 5 other bucks in my town (They all purchased them at the same time back in the early '80's) that haven't used them either. The bucks have heat exchange space on all 5 sides, top, bottom, sides, and back, and the fan is thermostatically controlled and comes on low at 110 degrees, moves up to medium at 140, and high at 175, so the heat is effectively removed. I think that the stove steel is kept cooled enough by the fan that the brick just are not needed. I wouldn't worry about it for a minute. Oh, I also always leave a pretty good ash bed to insulate the bottom that obviously takes the most abuse with the coal bed.

tfdchief- how many square feet are you heating with your 26000? approx. how much wood do you use a year? i have yet to install the stove and i am looking for as much info on it beforhand. all is appreciated, thanks

weezer4117 said:
tfdchief- how many square feet are you heating with your 26000? approx. how much wood do you use a year? i have yet to install the stove and i am looking for as much info on it beforhand. all is appreciated, thanks
weezer, I heat about 1500 sq ft single story ranch built in 1974, decent insulation and windows. I use about 3 cords a year. My son has a buck 28000 and it uses a lot more wood....size of the fire box and his house isn't insulated as well. I know a couple of people that used to have 28000's and they are monsters, take lots of wood to heat them up. However, if you want to burn them with enough wood and hot enough, they will heat a lot of sq ft. There are so many variables that it is hard to say, but if you can fire it (are home enough) good wood, and you have a decently insulated house, you can heat probably 2000 + sq ft easily.

What are the dimensions of the buck 28000 and 26000?

I'm looking at buying a used stove. I have a large fireplace, but loose most of my heat. The dimensions of my opening are 46'' wide and 38" tall.

Any advice on buying a used buck insert?
Thanks!

Smokin’ Sigs said:
What are the dimensions of the buck 28000 and 26000?

I'm looking at buying a used stove. I have a large fireplace, but loose most of my heat. The dimensions of my opening are 46'' wide and 38" tall.

Any advice on buying a used buck insert?
Thanks!

required fireplace demensions: the minimum and/or maximum dimensions for the instalation of a buck stove are-
26000 24"-30" hight, 32"-42" width, 18" depth (min)
28000 27"-33" hight, 40"-50" width, 18" depth (min)

these deminsions are straight out of the original manual i have.

Sounds like I may be able to use the 28000

Do you know what the dimensions of each model are?

He says the dimensions of the one I am looking at are:
36" W 25" H
SOME PIPE INCLUDED

Thanks!

Perhaps with a larger firebox, the larger fuel mass can get a sustained hot burn going well without the assistance of firebrick? I've noticed that with *smaller* fires, the opposite is true--firebrick often helps concentrate the burn, but larger fires can roll on their own. Just a guess.

Smokin’ Sigs said:
Sounds like I may be able to use the 28000

Do you know what the dimensions of each model are?

He says the dimensions of the one I am looking at are:
36" W 25" H
SOME PIPE INCLUDED

Thanks!

i no longer have the 28000 and the manual doesnt specify the exact deminsions of each model....

Status
Not open for further replies.