why is the burn pot full ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfgmt

Hearth Supporter
Feb 22, 2010
maine
I have been burning some lg granules pellets this is the second bag and after about 8 hrs the burn pot is so full it has to be cleaned it will almost put the flame out are these just cheep pellets or is there something wrong with the stove?before these I burned one bag of premier and this didn't happen,I have a bag of fireside ultra to try next and also a couple bags of greene team hardwood but I don't want to try these out if it is a stove thing I run it at 4-4 till it warms up than at 1-3 after that. The stove is a 55-shp 10 that I got last week the bottom 3 settings are the factory settings they are 6-4-1

Did you buy the stove new, or used? Can you describe your vent system? Is the OAK hooked-up?

it is new i have a clean out t four feet of simpson duravent an elbow with a one foot turnout and a cap. cold air is coming from outside through the wall throughthe factory supplied vent kit

Since the stove is new, I doubt the pellets are the problem, especially with having burned so few bags. Something else is not set correctly, as it sounds like there simply isn't enough air going through the burn pot to burn the pellets. If there are no leaks in the door gasket and the burnpot is installed correctly, I would recommend calling the Englander Tech line. They are great to work with, and if you're home when you call, they will go through some diagnostics with you right on the phone.

if the settings are the same as mine, low burn feed, low burn air, and fan on, I think your LBF should be lower, and your LBA should be higher. The way I adjusted my Low Burn Feed was to turn it down until the stove would not stay lit anymore. then back up one. Then I fiddle with the Low Burn Air until it looked right at heat settings 1 and 2.

the vent system

Attachments

• DCP_0153.jpg
    DCP_0153.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 884
What's that dangling out of the hooper on the left hand side of the stove (facing the stove)?

Granules LG pellets are very good and consistent pellets.

I'd say that your low burn settings need a bit of tweaking however since your stove is new I'd call England Stove Works and talk to them.

If the flame looks good there's no need to disconnect the OAK & make sure the passage into the stove is clear. I doubt a pellet brand can make such a difference.

its just a string from where the gasket on the hopper lid was cut at the factory i noticed it yesterday but wanted to cut it with scissors not my knife so I didn't do it at the time thanks for reminding me

bfgmt said:
its just a string from where the gasket on the hopper lid was cut at the factory i noticed it yesterday but wanted to cut it with scissors not my knife so I didn't do it at the time thanks for reminding me

It is also a possible venting issue (burn quality issue) as the stove must have a sealed hopper.

how tight should the hopper latches be I have to use some force with my thumbs but not so much that i need the palm of my hand to close them and I do have to give the lid a slight push down to open the latches I wouldn't think they should be so tight that my wife cant even open the hopper

bfgmt said:
how tight should the hopper latches be I have to use some force with my thumbs but not so much that i need the palm of my hand to close them and I do have to give the lid a slight push down to open the latches I wouldn't think they should be so tight that my wife cant even open the hopper

If you have to use the palm of your hand to latch them, they're too tight....they should just be snug.

bfgmt said:
I have been burning some lg granules pellets this is the second bag and after about 8 hrs the burn pot is so full it has to be cleaned it will almost put the flame out are these just cheep pellets or is there something wrong with the stove?before these I burned one bag of premier and this didn't happen,I have a bag of fireside ultra to try next and also a couple bags of greene team hardwood but I don't want to try these out if it is a stove thing I run it at 4-4 till it warms up than at 1-3 after that. The stove is a 55-shp 10 that I got last week the bottom 3 settings are the factory settings they are 6-4-1

Take the obvious first, you stated that this did not happen with the premier pellets you were using. Is it possible those LG pellets were bad? Just as reminder I took this off the instructions:

"Your stove is designed to burn Wood Pellets only. Burning pea coal, cherry pits, or anything
other than wood pellets will void your warranty. Pellets with high ash content will burn dirty and
require the unit to be cleaned more often. This unit is designed for use with ¼” diameter pellet
fuel. Using pellets longer than 2” can bind the auger and require frequent manual removal.
Be sure your pellets are not damp or wet. Keep sawdust out of the unit."

My stove is a PDVC but the control is the same and they appear to operate with the same instructions.
Your running settings seem to be conflicting though.
The base settings for low burn (lower 3 settings) should be 6-4-1.These only effect burn when heat setting is on 1 or 2
At start up the stove runs auto matically at 5-5 for 20 min to warm up the stove (regardless of user settings) and then reverts to the user settings which you say you set at 1-3 . But you also say the bottom 3 are at 6-4-1. Something don`t jive here.

sorry i meant to say I keep it at 4-4 till I get the house to the temp I want than turn it down to 1-3 to keep It at that temp and the factory settings have never been changed. This morning I put some of the home despot fireside pellets in the stove and they burn to a fine white ash and the pot doesn't fill like it did. BUT they are all very small about 1/8 to 1/4 in size and the flame is very inconsistent even on start up this is gonna drive me nuts can I just mix the two to get rid of them?

bfgmt said:
sorry i meant to say I keep it at 4-4 till I get the house to the temp I want than turn it down to 1-3 to keep It at that temp and the factory settings have never been changed. This morning I put some of the home despot fireside pellets in the stove and they burn to a fine white ash and the pot doesn't fill like it did. BUT they are all very small about 1/8 to 1/4 in size and the flame is very inconsistent even on start up this is gonna drive me nuts can I just mix the two to get rid of them?

Ok. most likely you will have to adjust the feed rate (LFF) and (LBA) for pellets that are significantly longer/shorter than what you have been previously burning but never change that 3rd button that is set on #1.
You might even find that adjusting the slide plate in the hopper is helpful when going from long pellets to short ones.
Keep a mental note or record and after a while with more experience you will get a good feel for the right settings.

Reactions: NickDL
The first 2 of those lower 3 buttons originally factory defaulted at 6-4-1 can be adjusted by the user. The defaults settings are simply to get you in the general burn parameters (feed rate and air ratio) and only when on low burn settings of 1 and 2 for the combustion of average pellets . Often a new user will experience problems and it soon becomes apparent why Englander so prominently displays their factory service phone number. It almost seems that they are ready , waiting and expecting your call.
And when you talk to a factory rep they usually will have you adjust those first two buttons based on the info you give them.
I can`t fault them for this method since so many folks have to actually experence the learning curve of burning a pellet stove and how the controls relate to it all , not to mention variations of the many different pellets. The one on one guidance they provide over the phone really helps folks get to know and understand the whole process.
Remember, those bottom 3 buttons are only relevent for the heat range settings of 1 and 2 (low burn heat range) On settings of #3 and higher the combustion fan speed is automatically tied to the feed rate setting.

Gio said:
.........Those bottom 3 buttons are only relevent for the heat range settings of 1 and 2 (low burn heat range) On settings of #3 and higher the combustion fan speed is automatically tied to the feed rate setting.

Actually, this isn't 100% true. I have spoken to Englander techs and they admit that the bottom settings DO have an effect on upper settings too. In addition, I was doing some "experimenting" while burning grass & coffee pellets mixes a while back, and I have personally heard changes in blower speed on heat settings above 2, when I increase the LBA settings.

All that having been said, I have concluded that on straight wood pellets, the original factory settings are the best for max. heat output.

macman said:
Gio said:
.........Those bottom 3 buttons are only relevent for the heat range settings of 1 and 2 (low burn heat range) On settings of #3 and higher the combustion fan speed is automatically tied to the feed rate setting.

Actually, this isn't 100% true. I have spoken to Englander techs and they admit that the bottom settings DO have an effect on upper settings too. In addition, I was doing some "experimenting" while burning grass & coffee pellets mixes a while back, and I have personally heard changes in blower speed on heat settings above 2, when I increase the LBA settings.

All that having been said, I have concluded that on straight wood pellets, the original factory settings are the best for max. heat output.

Yeah Mac, we been thru this issue before but that totally contradicts what Mike Holten who as the senior Englander pellet stove tech has explicitly stated on this forum that the LBA setting only works on heat range 1 and 2. I recall that I even referred you to that quote from him. FWIW I didn`t find the combustion fan speed affected by the LBA button when on heat range 3 or higher but my stove is a PDVC and that could possibly be why but I doubt it.
Anyway, I`m surprised he hasn`t chimed in on this the last time we discussed it. And it wouldn`t be the first time that an Englander tech info has appeared contradictory. I`m gonna send him a private email to see if he is willing to clear this up. I`ll come back on this if and when he replies.

burning great at about a 60% fireside 40% lg mix the ashes are still a little dark but not clumping like they were, I don't think either of those two will be the first ton I will buy for next winter,I am going to try to find a good burning pellet for next year before I cant stand the heat in the house any longer.I have herd nothing but good things about bearfoot but I have to find a place to buy them near me that is not gonna charge me over 300 a ton

bfgmt said:
burning great at about a 60% fireside 40% lg mix the ashes are still a little dark but not clumping like they were, I don't think either of those two will be the first ton I will buy for next winter,I am going to try to find a good burning pellet for next year before I cant stand the heat in the house any longer.I have herd nothing but good things about bearfoot but I have to find a place to buy them near me that is not gonna charge me over 300 a ton

Barefoot are going for $279.00 / ton down this way, you haul'em.

Oh and I think you might discover that your stove will need to be tweaked to burn them.

ETA: And those fireside pellets are made by Premier just so you know.

premier are the first ones i burned and they burned good. maybe the firesides have just been sitting around home depot all winter and thrown from one place to another and thats why they are so small

Ok, We now have more information regarding the lower 3 settings. More specifically the LBA setting.
Straight for the horse`s mouth. (gotta wonder where that expression originated)
And this explains why Macman and I had differing opinions.
This is the reply I received :

"It depends on the model and mfg date , the 2 auger stoves (pdv, pdvc etc…) it only affects the lowest 2 heat ranges , on single auger units such as the cpm , ep , or pah it affects all ranges"

Michael Holton

Customer Service Mgr.

England's Stove Works Inc.

bfgmt said:
premier are the first ones i burned and they burned good. maybe the firesides have just been sitting around home depot all winter and thrown from one place to another and thats why they are so small

What's that you say it might be a storage related situation.

Well who would have thunk that, it could still be that one label isn't manufactured the same as the other was.

The whole point being you have to match the burn air to fuel feed and there is no point at which that match must be as proper as it can be then when you burn at low burn rates.

That is why there is a low burn adjustment capability on the stove as well as a feed restricter.

You see I've burned those fireside ultras, also green team, freedom fuel, natures heat, MWP version 1 and 2, Barefoot, Oakies, and Granules LG.

I'm going to try MWP version 3 shortly and then pick my additions to the 3+ tons of Granules LG already in storage.

ETA: Please review this thread https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42511/

Gio said:
Ok, We now have more information regarding the lower 3 settings. More specifically the LBA setting.

"It depends on the model and mfg date , the 2 auger stoves (pdv, pdvc etc…) it only affects the lowest 2 heat ranges , on single auger units such as the cpm , ep , or pah it affects all ranges"

Michael Holton

Customer Service Mgr.

Well, there you go...glad Mike came through again and straightened this out for us. I'm also glad I now know I'm not crazy, that I DID hear the blower change..... :lol:

macman said:
Gio said:

Michael Holton

Customer Service Mgr.

Well, there you go...glad Mike came through again and straightened this out for us. I'm also glad I now know I'm not crazy, that I DID hear the blower change..... :lol:

Ok, the above expression now explained too:
From a reliable source, on the best authority. For example, I have it from the horse's mouth that he plans to retire next month. Also put as straight from the horse's mouth, this expression alludes to examining a horse's teeth to determine its age and hence its worth. [1920s]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.