why is the burn pot full ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gio said:
Straight for the horse`s mouth. (gotta wonder where that expression originated)

Ok, the above expression now explained too:
From a reliable source, on the best authority. For example, I have it from the horse's mouth that he plans to retire next month. Also put as straight from the horse's mouth, this expression alludes to examining a horse's teeth to determine its age and hence its worth. [1920s]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh....I thought Mr. Ed said it. :)

imacman said:
Gio said:
Ok, We now have more information regarding the lower 3 settings. More specifically the LBA setting.
Straight for the horse`s mouth. (gotta wonder where that expression originated)
And this explains why Macman and I had differing opinions.
This is the reply I received :

"It depends on the model and mfg date , the 2 auger stoves (pdv, pdvc etc…) it only affects the lowest 2 heat ranges , on single auger units such as the cpm , ep , or pah it affects all ranges"

Michael Holton

Customer Service Mgr.

England's Stove Works Inc.

Well, there you go...glad Mike came through again and straightened this out for us. I'm also glad I now know I'm not crazy, that I DID hear the blower change..... :lol:

well then i guess i am crazy because i have a 25pdvc and i also hear blower changes on settings above 2 when adjusting the LBA

these stoves are very picky on pellets i have burned 2 tons of barefoot through mine and was very happy with the heat output but i would get the full burnpot that you speak of wich would turn into a very dirty burn and blacken everything up. i have tried MANY differents brand of pellets.. the ones that produce a lighter ash will keep the burn pot cleaner but you will be tearing your stove down quite often to clean it because the ash blows throughout the stove.. i am burning turmans now and they are by far the best burning pellet for MY stove. i still get a little buildup in the pot but it's tolerable. scoop it out 2 times a day and all is well. but i do recomend if your not satisfied with the wat your stove is burning then definatly call englander so they can try to figure things out for you.

Had the same problem with a ton of pellets I got last winter. Changed pellets and the problem went away. Before you do any extensive work on your stove, try a couple of bags of Okies or some other brand and see if it doesn't fix it. I had to clean out my burn pot twice a day.

86 toy said:
these stoves are very picky on pellets i have burned 2 tons of barefoot through mine and was very happy with the heat output but i would get the full burnpot that you speak of wich would turn into a very dirty burn and blacken everything up. i have tried MANY differents brand of pellets.. the ones that produce a lighter ash will keep the burn pot cleaner but you will be tearing your stove down quite often to clean it because the ash blows throughout the stove.. i am burning turmans now and they are by far the best burning pellet for MY stove. i still get a little buildup in the pot but it's tolerable. scoop it out 2 times a day and all is well. but i do recomend if your not satisfied with the wat your stove is burning then definatly call englander so they can try to figure things out for you.

While I`m quite satisfied burning the little 25PDVC (in my rear garage) I`ve also come to accept it`s glaring faults and limitations. There`s certainly better stoves out there but like everything else in life, they are going to cost more.
This stove has always been a best seller mainly because it`s been a price leader. It`s advertised to heat up to 1500 sq ft but I have no doubts as to how they arrived at that figure, (optimum conditions)and like most sales talk a good dose of exaggeration since it`s BTU rating is only 22,800. Heating a whole house with any pellet stove can be a challenge but I`d not want to be using this particular stove for that task. Just check your local Craigslist and you will probably find more used ones for sale than all others combined.
Personally, I feel it`s an attractive looking and very well made stove considering it`s the industry entry level price leader , however the combustion design itself could really use some improvements. It`s OK but simply not up to industry standards IMO.
The amount of combustion air control (top end 12 % only) is almost useless in this stove even on the low burn and in large part causes the never ending flood of questions on this board.
It`s cleanest burn settings may not normally produce any smoke but it still produces blackened (not greyish) glass and at least a degree of soot in the stove and throughout the exhaust. The flame does in fact often tend to burn slightly lazy and dark orange on the right side of the burnpot and the flame length oscillates from high to low most of the time. This I contribute to the feed system itself . The pellet delivery system just isn`t consistant . This could very well be why their latest line of stoves do not use the dual auger system or limit combustion air control..
I`ve also noticed during each starting cycle the flame burns very low for 2-3 minutes directly after the 20 min warm up cycle. The flame pattern itself does not stabilize for at least 30 -45 minutes . This annoys me since I`d like the stove to heat up as quick as possible. I won`t even mention that heat really only blows out one side of the stove front.

The above all said I still think the stove is reasonably dependable and probably as good an entry level pellet stove that can be found and no doubt can be a real bargain (when found below retail price) and we all know that their factory service is unequalled.

Not wanting to let the thread die and determined to delve more into this I`ve been on the horn again with Englander techs regarding the fluctuating flame caused by the inconsistant amount of pellets augered into the burnpot. Anyway, I checked for loose auger screws, reversed the top and bottom augers motors , tried by passing the low draft switch that controls the top auger, and removed the slide plate, all to no avail. The stove is clean and actually still new since less than a dozen bags been thru it.
The Green Supreme pellets I have aren`t unusually long either. They been burning great in my Harman .
Evidently the last tech I talked to this morning is pretty much stumped at least to the point where he feels I probably need a new control board.( sending it out to me) in hopes that it solves the problem since I`m only getting a 3.5 sec / 11 sec off turn cycle on the top auger on #9 heat range.

Gio said:
While I`m quite satisfied burning the little 25PDVC (in my rear garage) I`ve also come to accept it`s glaring faults and limitations. There`s certainly better stoves out there but like everything else in life, they are going to cost more.
This stove has always been a best seller mainly because it`s been a price leader. It`s advertised to heat up to 1500 sq ft but I have no doubts as to how they arrived at that figure, (optimum conditions)and like most sales talk a good dose of exaggeration since it`s BTU rating is only 22,800. Heating a whole house with any pellet stove can be a challenge but I`d not want to be using this particular stove for that task. Just check your local Craigslist and you will probably find more used ones for sale than all others combined.
Personally, I feel it`s an attractive looking and very well made stove considering it`s the industry entry level price leader , however the combustion design itself could really use some improvements. It`s OK but simply not up to industry standards IMO.
The amount of combustion air control (top end 12 % only) is almost useless in this stove even on the low burn and in large part causes the never ending flood of questions on this board.
It`s cleanest burn settings may not normally produce any smoke but it still produces blackened (not greyish) glass and at least a degree of soot in the stove and throughout the exhaust. The flame does in fact often tend to burn slightly lazy and dark orange on the right side of the burnpot and the flame length oscillates from high to low most of the time. This I contribute to the feed system itself . The pellet delivery system just isn`t consistant . This could very well be why their latest line of stoves do not use the dual auger system or limit combustion air control..
I`ve also noticed during each starting cycle the flame burns very low for 2-3 minutes directly after the 20 min warm up cycle. The flame pattern itself does not stabilize for at least 30 -45 minutes . This annoys me since I`d like the stove to heat up as quick as possible. I won`t even mention that heat really only blows out one side of the stove front.

The above all said I still think the stove is reasonably dependable and probably as good an entry level pellet stove that can be found and no doubt can be a real bargain (when found below retail price) and we all know that their factory service is unequalled.

very well said and i agree 100%... the only way i can get a gray soot buildup and not black is to block the air wash holes on the bottom of the stove but then of course the glass is covered in about 1 hour but the stove is so much cleaner inside without all that black soot i get

86 toy said:
Gio said:

very well said and i agree 100%... the only way i can get a gray soot buildup and not black is to block the air wash holes on the bottom of the stove but then of course the glass is covered in about 1 hour but the stove is so much cleaner inside without all that black soot i get
Interesting! I might give that a whirl sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.