why no large contemporary wood stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ChillyGator said:
I have never seen a woodstove in a big box store in Florida....lots of firepits, chimeas and electric stoves though.

Yea, Florida is probably not where stove manufacturers get the best bang for their buck !

to the OP

contemporary woodstoves typically come from euro designs: euro designs are smaller (smaller homes over there) and take smaller wood (not as much firewood is availiable). PE does a "Fusion" stove which is a dressed out super series to give the euro look, but with a US sized firebox. Scan does the Anderson, which takes an 18" log, but is not big enough to do much over 1000 sqft nor over a 5 hr burn time. Being that contemporary stoves represent only about 10% of the availiable market, you'd be hard pressed to find too many mfgs that would invest the big $ needed to put out a 3-4 cubic ft monster stove with a contemporary design.

thanks for your input, by contemporary I mean clean linear lines, you are right, it seems to me most contemporary wood stoves are of European design. Perhaps because they have smaller homes, less wood available , etc. I do get the impression from talking to several sales people that many U.S manufactures are developing larger contemporary stoves to be out in 2011 or so. but no one just yet.
I do like the look of the Regency Altera and a similar style with a bigger box may be something I would purchase.

Dwain.

MishMouse said:
But if you are looking for a large contemp stove:
This one seems large enough for anybody.
http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/Bruno-T14-Stove.html

You can through wood up to 1 meter in this one. :)

Strange like this one...looks like it has headers..lol.
bullerjan-wood-stove-500x271.jpg

I have seen the bigger Alterra, with the f2400 box. 75000 btu's of contemporary.

Should be available shortly.

Hiram Maxim's install...real nice imo.
w82gc7.jpg

BrotherBart said:
wkpoor said:
I'll go one better, I don't know a single person who knows what an EPA stove even is unless I educated them myself. Most people just aren't "into" stoveology. I wasn't. Heck I owned one for 3yrs in the crate and had no idea it was an EPA stove with secondary burn nor did I know what that even was. To me it was just another stove. Wasn't till I got anal about all this stuff I realized what I had.

I understand. Until I found this place in 2005 looking for info on a trailer load of Jotul gas stoves I bought I didn’t even know that EPA stoves existed. Or chimney liners for that matter and I had wished for those things since 1985. But the fact remains that if anybody bought a stove after 1988 it was either certified or one of the few exempt ones.

Even after I found this place and lined the chimney I didn’t plan to buy a EPA stove for another year. Until the old one busted in the first month of the heating season. That liner sent it over the moon.
BB, That is pretty much my story as well. Except that I haven't had the "go nuclear" problems that you had with the S/S liner. I wanted to direct connect mine the day I "slammed" it in the fireplace, AND every year there after when I pulled it out to clean my chimney :coolgrin: I just couldn't figure out how to do it until I got on this forum. I also know of only ONE person in my area that has an EPA stove.

wkpoor said:
I'll go one better, I don't know a single person who knows what an EPA stove even is unless I educated them myself. Most people just aren't "into" stoveology. I wasn't. Heck I owned one for 3yrs in the crate and had no idea it was an EPA stove with secondary burn nor did I know what that even was. To me it was just another stove. Wasn't till I got anal about all this stuff I realized what I had.

I can relate to your view. When bought my first used Cat stove 3 years ago I didn't know what it was when I boought it. The guy I bought it from didn't put a name or model in the advertisement and he didn't have a clue what a Cat stove meant either. When I bought the second one I had to explain to the guy I bought it from what a catalytic stove was and what it did.

My parents bought a home with a Xtroardinaire 36 cat insert that the previous owner installed. He didn't know what a catalytic did and told my parents the completely wrong way to operate it. I just figured out they had it and used it for the first time this fall after spending 2 hours cleaning out the catalytic and insert. Works great now and doubled the burn time for my parents.

I know about 5 other long time wood burners that burn wood and they have never heard of or care to learn about EPA stuff. They use wood furnaces vs stoves so that might explain some of that.

If it wasn't for logging in here and downloading manuals for the stoves I still wouldn't have a clue.

Recently, my brother in law was looking at putting a woodburner in. I told him about the newer technology and cleaner burning methods. I think he bought one last week and is having it put in.

Somewhat different point of view here, but with parallels.

I learned about EPA stoves fairly early on - 1989 or thereabouts - and became fascinated with the science of solid fuel combustion. Though I was a very poor student, I wanted (ardently) to design and build custom stoves... but didn't have the resources to pursue the dream... and also determined that at that time even one-off stoves had to be certified (at significant cost per each) to be sold. The cards seemed stacked against custom builds.

Years later, having largely ignored industry and market trends in the meanwhile, I found that exceptions had been established for 'exempt' stoves... mainly cheap camp stoves, with no pretense of a clean burn. I was - to put it mildly - incensed... that a custom builder couldn't (at one time) sell his wares, when (subsequently) cheap junk slipped under the regulations.

Twenty years hence, there's no likelihood that I'll joust the same windmills.

Sour grapes, I guess, but there you are.

Peter B.

-----

BrotherBart said:
wkpoor said:
I understand. Until I found this place in 2005 looking for info on a trailer load of Jotul gas stoves I bought I didn’t even know that EPA stoves existed.

I know I'm new here but am I really the only one dumb enough to ask why you bought a TRAILER LOAD of stoves?

Peter B. said:
Somewhat different point of view here, but with parallels.

I learned about EPA stoves fairly early on - 1989 or thereabouts - and became fascinated with the science of solid fuel combustion. Though I was a very poor student, I wanted (ardently) to design and build custom stoves... but didn't have the resources to pursue the dream... and also determined that at that time even one-off stoves had to be certified (at significant cost per each) to be sold. The cards seemed stacked against custom builds.

Years later, having largely ignored industry and market trends in the meanwhile, I found that exceptions had been established for 'exempt' stoves... mainly cheap camp stoves, with no pretense of a clean burn. I was - to put it mildly - incensed... that a custom builder couldn't (at one time) sell his wares, when (subsequently) cheap junk slipped under the regulations.

Twenty years hence, there's no likelihood that I'll joust the same windmills.

Sour grapes, I guess, but there you are.

Peter B.

-----
There are clever ways around the regs. Steve makes no mention anywhere that he sells new stoves. Only replacement parts for old ones. You'll have to read between the lines here to understand. I'm not allowed to spell it out.

Cascade Failure said:
BrotherBart said:
I understand. Until I found this place in 2005 looking for info on a trailer load of Jotul gas stoves I bought I didn’t even know that EPA stoves existed.

I know I'm new here but am I really the only one dumb enough to ask why you bought a TRAILER LOAD of stoves?

Actually to make a whole lot of money off of them. And did.

Around here I have seen a lot of huge old smoke dragons and very, very few modern stoves. Like wkpoor said in farm country stuff does not get replaced unless it is beyond repair. Most of the houses around here look the same as the day they were built inside and out, a coat of paint is considered a major remodel to many.

Personally I like a big firebox that is why I went with the Osburn. My old cat Grizzly insert had a big firebox and I loved that about it and that is about the only thing I liked about it.

BrotherBart said:
Cascade Failure said:
BrotherBart said:

Actually to make a whole lot of money off of them. And did.

That's good, I'm a big fan of making money. I just found it odd that you bought the stoves and then went looking for info.

BrotherBart said:
wkpoor said:
There is way bigger world out there than this forum Bart. Just like I'm the only person I know (and I know plenty) that is heating with an EPA stove and I'm a newby to EPA. In fact I only even know where one maybe EPA stove is besides mine but its an older VC so probably not.

Ya don't know anybody that owns a stove built after 1988? Fascinating.

I've said the samething, I'm the only one I know if besides 1 other with modern stove. Several family members heat with wood, and every last one of them is from the 70's or 80's maybe some older. Only reason I know of the 1 is because dad finally replaced his old Vigillant thats been in the family since around '83. Most of em would dream of replacing thier old reliable stoves, especially at a cost of 2-3g's.

Status
Not open for further replies.