Why the 8" flue on big cat stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wood boilers are expensive and illegal in WA. All indoor solid fuel heaters are illegal as well.

Geez... sounds like you're living in a communist regime! While I'm all for states setting their own rules, and the Fed keeping out of all such matters, I'm surprised wood stoves and furnaces are entirely illegal in your state. Did I read you wrong?

Geez... sounds like you're living in a communist regime! While I'm all for states setting their own rules, and the Fed keeping out of all such matters, I'm surprised wood stoves and furnaces are entirely illegal in your state. Did I read you wrong?

The national fire code has a single line that says that solid fuel heaters may not be installed in garages. Since I have a garage door, my shed is a garage. I think it is a stupid rule and I fully intend to break it but we all must recognize that the law forbids garage stoves and that a certain amount of liability comes along with installing one.

On the boilers and furnaces and stoves in the home, our state requires EPA certification for installation which most furnaces and boilers do not have.

On the boilers and furnaces and stoves in the home, our state requires EPA certification for installation which most furnaces and boilers do not have.

Ah... so they're not directly forbitting furnaces and boilers, but few manufacturers have stepped up to make an EPA certified available. Seems like I've seen at least one or two EPA certified boiler, though. Maybe the manufacturers are coming around to the requirements?

Status
Not open for further replies.