WHY WOULD MY CHIMNEY SWEEP TELL ME THIS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes it's a good idea to bust out the tiles and go with an insulated liner.

I have never seen so much discussion on this topic! Unless your liners are in really bad shape, I think he would just run chains up there carefully. It is a very common tool among sweeps. It's probably a silly question, but is this sweep certified? We do a lot of slammer installs, we hate 'em but we clean 'em anyway.

It’s probably a silly question, but is this sweep certified? We do a lot of slammer installs, we hate ‘em but we clean ‘em anyway.

oh really what "certified sweeps" installs slammers evidently you have not opened a code bock in the past 20 years

cmonSTART said:
Ibcnsp, welcome.

I'm sure he meant he cleans a lot of slammer installs and I can guarantee he's opened a code book.

;-)
Thank you, ya' that's what I meant, I didn't think I would have to explain any further on that one. :roll:

Ohio,

No leaks. On my liner, there's a clamp to hold the pipe where it goes through the cap. I used high temp rtv and check it every time I clean the liner.

Jim

ohio woodburner said:
OK so I'm putting my new insert in this week so i figured a better have my chimney swept. I took my old old insert out, it had no liner and called the pro out. He came over and started to sweep and said i had some heavy creosote build up...it'd cost extra lol He swept it and then told me i had some major build up that it was soaked into my masonry, he got it the best he could. He said that he could use an acid wash on it but it would cost 400 and my house would stink. He said he could also use a mechanical device and whip it out of there but it probably would damage my clay. He said my third and best option would be to install my liner insulated of course but when i go to terminate at the cap don't use the supplied one because it would seal the chimney off allowing the soaked in creosote to heat up and fill my house with a smell that would last for months. He told me just to run my liner at least two inches above my clay liner and leave my existing rain cap on so the smell would rise up and out. HELP does this seem right ?

He's saying that creosote is soaked into your clay liner? Is that even possible? I can't see how it's possible. Clay is fairly non-porous.

Thats what i was told also in the masonary brick in the fire box

Status
Not open for further replies.