Wife cleaned the chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Yes, you read the title right! Yesterday my wife got ambitious and checked the chimney. She could see a little bit of stuff so thought she would clean it. Well, she did not use a brush but simply stuck the pole up there and sort of banged them on the sides of the SS chimney. The last time I cleaned was in June 2009 and we got around a cup of soot. This time it looks like there may have been more and she just let it all fall on the ground so I could see what was there.

A couple points I'd like to make:

1. Chimney cleaning is not such a difficult thing and even the ornery wives can do it although I'm sure not many would do it even if they were asked. I did not ask. Wife just took it on her own.

2. The last time I cleaned the chimney was after 2 full winters of wood burning and that was all with wood that had been cut, split and stacked from anywhere from 5-8 years. This time (after 1 1/2 winters of burning) almost all the wood was split and stacked in April 2009 so even though it was dry, it still produced slightly more soot than the older wood did. There was even some creosote in this batch! Not much, but it was there.

So the main point is that it does make a difference in how long the wood sits before you burn it. Our older wood got only a little bit of soot. This time we got a little more plus some creosote. It is better to give the wood a long time to dry and not try to burn it the same year or even a year after it has been cut and split. I'm not stating you can not burn your wood like that, but am stating that it is better to give it more time. So for my money, I'll continue to try to burn wood only after it has set for at least 3 years if at all possible.

Finally, some of you know that tomorrow morning I will be entering the hospital for hip surgery. Well, when she ran the pole up the chimney she also somehow caused the chimney cap to partially come off. It was sitting at an odd angle. Wife hates climbing. So, I got her to carry the ladder and I went up to fix the cap. Let me tell you, that was a very painful thing to do! Climbing a ladder or descending has never been so painful! But it is better now than it would be right after surgery. lol

Good luck on the surgery Dennis, you should feel like a new man in no time.

Best of luck tomorrow Dennis. I'll keep you in my prayers although I'm not convinced that may help much but as someone once said, it can't hurt either. I just mentioned in another thread that my son who is only 45 had his hip done in Boston last year. He delivered heavy equipment, rock crushers etc and constantly jumping on and off the trailers just was to much for his hips. So he has one down and the other side coming soon. It is a miracle operation and after rehab there seems to be little pain. Just don't overdue it when you get home. Bring a lap top with you to keep us updated or even better have the doc video tape it for you tube. :lol:
Ed

Backwoods Savage said:
Yes, you read the title right! Yesterday my wife got ambitious and checked the chimney. She could see a little bit of stuff so thought she would clean it. Well, she did not use a brush but simply stuck the pole up there and sort of banged them on the sides of the SS chimney. The last time I cleaned was in June 2009 and we got around a cup of soot. This time it looks like there may have been more and she just let it all fall on the ground so I could see what was there.

1. Chimney cleaning is not such a difficult thing and even the ornery wives can do it although I'm sure not many would do it even if they were asked. I did not ask. Wife just took it on her own.

2. The last time I cleaned the chimney was after 2 full winters of wood burning and that was all with wood that had been cut, split and stacked from anywhere from 5-8 years. This time (after 1 1/2 winters of burning) almost all the wood was split and stacked in April 2009 so even though it was dry, it still produced slightly more soot than the older wood did. There was even some creosote in this batch! Not much, but it was there.

So the main point is that it does make a difference in how long the wood sits before you burn it. Our older wood got only a little bit of soot. This time we got a little more plus some creosote. It is better to give the wood a long time to dry and not try to burn it the same year or even a year after it has been cut and split. I'm not stating you can not burn your wood like that, but am stating that it is better to give it more time. So for my money, I'll continue to try to burn wood only after it has set for at least 3 years if at all possible.

Finally, some of you know that tomorrow morning I will be entering the hospital for hip surgery. Well, when she ran the pole up the chimney she also somehow caused the chimney cap to partially come off. It was sitting at an odd angle. Wife hates climbing. So, I got her to carry the ladder and I went up to fix the cap. Let me tell you, that was a very painful thing to do! Climbing a ladder or descending has never been so painful! But it is better now than it would be right after surgery. lol

Dennis good luck on the surgery my friend! You should be just fine with that ornery wife to take care of you and make sure you work hard on the physical therapy afterwards..

Ray

Good luck on that surgery; I'm sure you're going to feel a whole lot better when it's said and done.

I have to have bilateral hip replacement this spring... I'm really anxious for my quality of life to improve.
I'd be interested to hear how your recovery goes, if you don't mind sharing.

Backwoods Savage said:

I bet you could have asked someone to do that for you you stubborn SOB.
You want a few arms & legs replace tomorrow too.
Yeh I know, who & ASK? BS. your having surgery tomorrow, you coulda , well. Glad you did it safely, but, JEESE!
It was you who told me to take it easy, lead by example will ya.

Anyway, good luck tomorrow.
Eat well today, you'll be hungry tomorrow.
Wife will have to tie you up!!!

Climbing a ladder. Good grief. Tell the doc to be careful of a head injury during the surgery. :lol:

Let us hear from ya soon guy.

If I can make it till summer then I would technically never need to sweep. Between the natural flaking off and the birds my chimney gets squeaky clean over summer on its own. Cleaner than I can make it with a brush.
Good luck with the new parts they"ll put in your hip.

Backwoods Savage said:
Finally, some of you know that tomorrow morning I will be entering the hospital for hip surgery.

Any chance you can opt for the cyborg upgrade? Maybe some sort of robotic leg implant that includes expandable stilts that allow for easy chimney cleaning? I mean, if you are going to go through the operation to begin with, might as well upgrade a few parts while you are in the shop. %-P

good advice as usual. best of luck. take it easy on the nurses. it doesn't sound like they will be able to provide for you as your wife does

pen

Good luck tomorrow, Savage! I have a good feeling you'll be in capable hands, both at the hospital and at home.

BrowningBAR said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Finally, some of you know that tomorrow morning I will be entering the hospital for hip surgery.

Any chance you can opt for the cyborg upgrade? Maybe some sort of robotic leg implant that includes expandable stilts that allow for easy chimney cleaning? I mean, if you are going to go through the operation to begin with, might as well upgrade a few parts while you are in the shop. %-P

Hehe, Ive already started calling him Bionic Savage.
Dennis, already said this, but we'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Do you think the ornery one will give us an update on how the surgery went?
If not, we'll wait for ya'.

Backwoods Savage said:

Hope everything goes well tomorrow. You will be the "bionic man" when you get home. :)

Gotta love her for that. You two make a good team.

All the best tomorrow Dennis. Hope you have a speedy recovery. We'll keep a log on the fire and a comfy spot for when you get back.

Dennis, I hope everything goes well tomorrow. I have a friend who fell on the ice and broke the neck of her femur. Because of how it broke they ended up doing the hip and she was back up and around pretty quick.

Sav hope all goes well with the operation.

Zap

Good luck tomorrow, Dennis follow the Dr s orders for a quicker recovery,its almost time to start splitting and stacking in the nice weather.

Backwoods Savage said:

Dennis,

Best of luck with the surgery!

BTW, if you had some dry wood, you wouldn't have to clean your chimney so often........ ;)

Bill

Dennis, I love reading your posts. You are a wise man but I am sure you know that by now. I know you will do great with the surgery and you will be getting more wood cut and split before you know it for burning 10 years from now. Good luck and God bless!!!! :)

I hope you don't have to sit around too long, with all the work you have to do. After all, you're only 7 years ahead on your wood supply. :lol:

Seriously, best wishes for a speedy recovery. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.