Wife keeps complaining about lots of dust/lint in the living space where stove runs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
she says she finds way more dust and some lint formation (very light roll of dust/stuff particles, like a hair ball). This is on the first floor running the englander 25-pdv.

We have no pets in the house, she keeps complaining so much that I told her I would shut the stove down..!! (and have piece of mind... :) )

I never cleaned the heat exchange tubes because I don't know if there's a way to clean them, has any englander owner cleaned this?

Are you dumping pellets from the bag right into the hopper? I pour the pellets from the bag out into a pail (easier to handle, pail holds about 2/3 of a bag) out in the garage, so the initial dust from the pellet pouring happens outside the living space, then I pour the pail contents into the hopper (still have to dust off the top of the stove). But you may be seeing pellet dust.

Suggest you get a pet so you can blame the hairballs on the pet, not the stove!

I think it kind of goes with having a stove. Between the dust/fines from a bag of pellets to any ash dust created when you clean out a stove. You always have trade offs. If you were burning logs on a regular fire place then you have have ash dust and bark and wood crap all over.

I empty the bag right into the hopper but I do it very slowly..

Send her outside for the night, then she will appreciate the stove.....LOL

the greene team pellet is also very clean.

She's luck as hell it isn't a wood burning appliance! Then she would get dust, dirt, bugs, ash. Tell her you are just stirring up the dust that she has failed to clean properly, which is what you pay her for.......................................... THEN RUN LIKE HELL!!!!!

As the cleaner of the house, there is way more dust, just have to either be really anal and get out the furniture polish more often or just close your eyes and keep doing it the same old way (once a week). Warm is better than worrying about the dust, unless of course you have allergies.

Actually, yesterday and today were warm enough to keep stoves off for 48 hours and I used the heat pumps. My wife complained that since the heat pumps were on, there was way more dust on every thing!!! Go figure. I do prescreen my pellets out in the garage on an inclined wire mesh arrangement I copied from someone who posted a picture on here. It works great to get all the dust out. I fill up three buckets for each bag and I'm good to go.

You will have less dust if you just cut off the top of the bag and just slowly pour it right from the bag into your stove. Why waste all the time screening pellet dust (not healthy for your lungs, I'm sure). I have gone through this already and it didn't make a bit of difference. You are making way more work for yourself than you need to, trust me. My stove loves the fines in the bag and they make pretty sparks in the stove when burning. Unless they jam your auger (which I have never experienced), don't do it! All that screening, pouring and such will break them up even more and create more fines/dust. Try pouring them right in.

It's no problem or work to screen them. Sit the bag on the top of the rig, cut the bag, and let the pellets run into the buckets. Done. You should see the nice pile of dust after 3/4 ton! Also no dust in the lungs as they just slide down the aluminum screening and the dust lands down below the screen in a bin.

Dust is sawdust which burns in your burn pot, why waste it. Pretty sparks remember.

Tell her to pack her seabag and hit the high waves.. Or tell her to use more rags when cleaning. or tell her to shove a broom up her *&% and move around the house Or tell her nothing and just stare into the heavens as i do...

woodsman23 said:
Tell her to pack her seabag and hit the high waves.. Or tell her to use more rags when cleaning. or tell her to shove a broom up her *&% and move around the house Or tell her nothing and just stare into the heavens as i do...

LMAO, whoo!!!

sydney1963 said:
woodsman23 said:

LMAO, whoo!!!

She just thinks that broom she rides is just supposed to be parked in the garage, not actual used!!!

GREAT TOPIC!! I defeidently notice that we (wife & I) are cleaning more during the pellet burning season. Yes, we share the responsibility. She attempts to clean and then I clean up all the spots she usually misses. I agree with sydney in the fact of pouring right in. I was orginally using a scoop and a large antique chest that holds 5 bags. It was creating way to much dust. I now just pour in slowly and I always lower the room blower to LOW. Less chance of it blowing all over the room. I do use the scoop method if I only need to top it off. It works for me.

Not sure how all stoves work, but a trick with the Quads on tstats is nice. Before you open the stove door to clean, hit the tstat all the way up and then all the way down quickly, this starts the combustion fan cycle. That way, when you're cleaning the stove with the door open, much of the ash dust gets sucked up the vent. Another thing that I have found that works well, and I DO NOT suggest this esp if your stove is still under warranty or you have concerns about safety (I hope you do both, I've been doing this for years and have not had any issues with my Castile and/or safety issues doing so, consider this a disclaimer!), pour some cooking oil into your pellet supply and stir it up. I do this by buying bulk pellet and corn in 55 gallon drums, when I get home I pour maybe a cup or so of cooking oil (used works, keeps pets away, they will eat it) into each barrel and mix it up good (canoe paddle works well). Keeps the dust down when pouring the mix into the stove via 5 gallon bucket. You can always make a pellet sifter out of a shop vac too and do that before they go into the stove, and make sure if you clean your stove (always very cold stove before doing so) you use a well filtered vac (i.e. sheet rock filter on a shop vac) to do so. Just my routine here that seems to work, I have kids with allergies and asthma so it is a concern. Good luck!

GotzTheHotz said:
Not sure how all stoves work, but a trick with the Quads on tstats is nice. Before you open the stove door to clean, hit the tstat all the way up and then all the way down quickly, this starts the combustion fan cycle. That way, when you're cleaning the stove with the door open, much of the ash dust gets sucked up the vent. Another thing that I have found that works well, and I DO NOT suggest this esp if your stove is still under warranty or you have concerns about safety (I hope you do both, I've been doing this for years and have not had any issues with my Castile and/or safety issues doing so, consider this a disclaimer!), pour some cooking oil into your pellet supply and stir it up. I do this by buying bulk pellet and corn in 55 gallon drums, when I get home I pour maybe a cup or so of cooking oil (used works, keeps pets away, they will eat it) into each barrel and mix it up good (canoe paddle works well). Keeps the dust down when pouring the mix into the stove via 5 gallon bucket. You can always make a pellet sifter out of a shop vac too and do that before they go into the stove, and make sure if you clean your stove (always very cold stove before doing so) you use a well filtered vac (i.e. sheet rock filter on a shop vac) to do so. Just my routine here that seems to work, I have kids with allergies and asthma so it is a concern. Good luck!

I hope you are using oils without saturated fats... I wouldn't want your stove's arteries to clog up!!!!

Bacon grease baby! Sleep well. Why did you think I mentioned the pet disclaimer? Miss those fat fries at Macs, nothing better. The world is going to heck.

maybe you should suggest there's more dust and lint because she is doing such a poor job of cleaning.......(then duck and cover!) :ahhh:

Status
Not open for further replies.