Wife wants to solo burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
my wife runs the stove just like I do.... the only thing she won't do is drag the wood up the hill or buck the trees to length. She splits it (with the DHT22), stacks it, carries it in, lights the fire, stokes the fire, turns the levers, cleans the ash pan, etc.... she isn't big on measuring temps, but she knows what the flames should look like and how comfortable it is in the house. (if she is comfy, I am in my underwear, if she is hot, I'm outside in my underwear :p)

she was not very happy when the door fell off on her, but then again either was I.

my big fear is that when other people come to visit, they want to run the stove and have no idea. I made a little booklet/flowchart that I need to print and laminate to put near the stove.

Post your flow sheet for us please!

This must be a post from some alternate or parallel universe as I have no idea what the original post has to do with "wife wants to solo burn." Not even sure what that means???

By the way, this is no criticism. I just don't know what a solo burn is and the post has nothing about what his wife wants to do. Just confusion on my part.

Sounds like the OP is trying to learn his stove, and the Mrs wants to play too.

I, like lake Girl, am going to say "who do you think splits, stacks, lugs in firewood for the 2 stoves here?" answer... no one but me. This summer the guys at work were admiring my "guns". When I showed them pics of the stacks, splitter, dually wheel barrows, then they got a clue. That was a fun few days :)

The Mrs needs to read the manual, and get in there & figure it out like all of us do. Some reading & asking questions here would probably help a bunch.

It's not rocket science, but there IS a learning curve that all of us go through.

Reactions: Lake Girl
here it is...

Attachments

• Visio-fireflowchart_1.pdf
    84.6 KB · Views: 177
Reactions: Lake Girl
Thanks Dobish I will hand this to my wife great info

I suggested wife to read this post when she gets into trouble.We have made this simple only call from her was slow to no flames and small explosion resulting to smoke coming out of right side panel. Called her back said to very slowly turn t-stat counter clockwise till you get flame.Now I need to get the hang of filling the firebox full for a over night burn. Will this full box of wood keep a stove top temperature of 450-550 over night?

Will this full box of wood keep a stove top temperature of 450-550 over night?

i thought these things ran for days? all kidding aside it would depend on the type and size of the wood you put in it, large pieces of hard wood will burn longer than small pieces of soft wood

Dealer told me I will be happy with the long burn times just forgot to ask how much heat to expect while on slow burn.

Now I need to get the hang of filling the firebox full for a over night burn. Will this full box of wood keep a stove top temperature of 450-550 over night?

Yes. Fill it full and tight. It'll be hot in the morning if you turn it down to medium or lower and your install meets the specs of the manual.

Fun thread! One thing the OP seemed to be worried about was 650 on the stove top. For you steel guys and gals, that's nothing to fret over, right? I don't like to see over 600 on mine.

650 on a cast iron or steel stove is fine. Pretty normal cruising temp for our stove.

Wife and l are learning 550 tos temp I like to run at. Finding that sweet spot with 30mph winds full firebox and the insert cat lite the fire burns hot. Then slightly turn t=stat for a little less air then bang. I'm making very small turns wood you experts think the S/S pipe is cooling off? I'm not comfortable with an all night burn any advice besides spending more cash?

Then slightly turn t=stat for a little less air then bang.
Not sure what the source of the bang is. Loud or just surprising? Pipe doesn't usually go bang. Stove may.

Looking inside glass door there is smoke when the flames go out then the smoke bursts into flames this happens before the flames go into the cat. One word will explain this just wanting to get an over night burn like all you experts do

Should I try to get insert up to 650 then gradually turn t-stat down. I know it's operator error

It's no different than burning long loads during the day, to burn overnight. You're running the princess of burn times, don't you pretty much just have to get the cat active and turn the stove down even moderately and you should burn overnight no problemo?

I burn 24/7 and have heated with wood most all of my life. It's funny to me to think of being concerned with burning overnight. To me it's no different than the day. Make sure your smoke and co alarms are current and working and let it burn.

So no flame in box hot red coals same color as cat it's red? I'm burning slow burning now? If this is correct I feel like Gomer Pyle

If your cat stays in the active zone black out burning (no active flame) is what BK's do best I believe. I've Serviced a number of them but never run one. I did a BK princess stove today that the customer said he pulls 24hr burns out of pretty easily. The flue was in good shape too. He had about 24' straight up off of it with 15' or so double wall connecting pipe and then through the ceiling to class A. A nice set up. That would be on softwoods too. Fir I saw around.

Reactions: Highbeam
Status
Not open for further replies.