Wild Thing!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

backpack09

Minister of Fire
Sep 10, 2007
Rochester, Mass
Please dear god no one ever buy one of these saws.

A co-worker of mine spotted this 40cc Poulan Wild Thing in the dumpster at work. So of course I dive in after it.

I get it home, throw in some fresh fuel clean the spark plug and start pulling away.

after about 2 reps of the starting procedure it fires right up, Hey Great a free saw that runs...

Well after about 30 seconds of running it in my hands I have come to the realization that this thing might just vibrate right out of my hands... How in this day in age cane a saw manufacturer such a poorly balanced saw and no vibration isolation.

I cannot imagine cutting with this thing all day.... My hands would probably shake and fall right off.

Guess I will clean up the carb on this thing and throw it up on CL for short money.

I still have mind and you are right about the vibration. I guess for someone who is going to use it once or twice a year it wouldn't matter as much. I used it to cut some big swamp maples (24") and Red Oaks and it did an ok job. My hands still hurt though.

I fired up my 42cc Craftsman/poulan yesterday that had not been fired in around 2 years. Pushed the primer button a few times and it fired with the old gas. I like the thing. It doesn't cut fast when you bury the 18" bar, but for the brush and crap I was clearing yesterday it worked fine. It's the easiest to start saw I've ever owned. For light work I like hefting it better than the 290. I'd put a 14" bar on it, but I don't want to put $40 into it.

Matt

who would throw away a perfectly good running saw? It may not last and it may not do as good of a job as another saw, but it works. Definitely keep it out of the trash, like you said, maybe you can make a buck or two on the thing.

mellow may be on to something...I've seen the saws on sale at TSC for 100. At that price a lot of folks would consider them to be a disposable saw. I suppose that if you were a person that doesn't lend your good saws out a wildthing would be a decent loaner saw.

15 years ago I would have loved to have a new WT compared to the'free saws' I was using to help heat three families.

For people who treat them like disposable, cheap is good. Some of the low end homeowner poulans are quite good for occasional use if cared for. the china clones, not so much.

Anyway, they are about the most despised and criticised saws, and for good reasons in many ways. but because they are so bad they have a certain niche following. like a really ugly three legged puppy you lfeel sorry for.

I bought on on garage sale for about $30 to use for a single root cutting task. After that, I opened the muffler up, retuned the carb, changed to 14 inch bar with good chain, just to see what it could do. Not a bad little cutter, but hard to start, unreliable, and is missing the attachment to shake gallon paint cans.

Arboristsite.com has a thread going about WT racing and mofidications. Some are getting pretty 'wild'

savageactor7 said:
mellow may be on to something...I've seen the saws on sale at TSC for 100. At that price a lot of folks would consider them to be a disposable saw. I suppose that if you were a person that doesn't lend your good saws out a wildthing would be a decent loaner saw.

I bought one a year or two back for $20 on craigslist. Modified the muffler and made a few cuts. Loaned it to a friend and haven't seen it since. Gotta buy my buddy a beer next time I see him for not returning that thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.