Will a stove upgrade save us money?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MMandm said:
Two very different stoves. The Jotul is cast iron and the Equinox is soapstone, which have different burning characteristics and heat output curves. I'll let the engineers around here elaborate.

I think it's been said on this board about the Equinox "wow, that's a big rock". I'm a big Hearthstone fan, but that Jotul is beautiful also and I think would fit with your decor, for sure.

Can't go wrong either way, IMHO.

Yeah, convection vs radiant heat. Quick heat vs slow heat. Quick cool down vs. slow cool down . . . I've read a lot of postings regarding soapstone vs steel or cast. Hence my question about whether or not the EQ would be warm enough. They seem to run at low temps, comparatively.

doug_fir said:
When I saw this link in it's original post I just assumed "shutters" meant wooden hinged window coverings (y'know, like old school shutters) - I see I was very much mistaken. Thanks for re-posting the link.

You're welcome. I'm suggesting heavy thermal drapes, on the inside. They'd give you better insulation than new windows, a better view, and much lower cost. As it is now, it's as if your house doesn't have walls on two sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.