Willow !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HotCoals

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2010
Rochester,Ny.
Holy Cow!

I ended up with some willow that this one guy snuck into his face cords that he sold me.

Anyways I come home to a great coal bed of ash.

Just for giggles I put 5 or 6 smaller rounds of that dang willow on top of the coals.

Good Lord!
I kept the fire under control ok..but holy cow!
I seen 750 stove top..over 850 on my glass..brick behind stove was at 140f at the hottest area..I do have a air gap behind it.

My glass was really dirty before I put that willow in..clean as a whistle now.
After 2 hours there still is really good heat coming off the stove..500f stove top..but it is on the way down but will hold me easy till my night load.
If I hadn't seen see this with my own eyes I would not believe it.
Dry willow weighs nothing...but man it puts some heat out!

Anybody else ever burn any?

my neighbor up the road dropped one into the stream behind our house years ago...well after several storms and high water it finally washed onto my property and was damming the stream, so I bucked it up and split it, threw it on the pile.....when I got around to burning it the next season, it was very light. It does burn super hot, but it is short lived (a lot like pine).....the big drawback is it stinks!. We cut several monster willows down this summer and I gave it to a kid up the road with an outdoor furnace. I can tell when he is burning it because his whole neighborhood smells like piss......but hey, if it burns good for ya and you don't mind it, go for it!

Scotty Overkill said:
my neighbor up the road dropped one into the stream behind our house years ago...well after several storms and high water it finally washed onto my property and was damming the stream, so I bucked it up and split it, threw it on the pile.....when I got around to burning it the next season, it was very light. It does burn super hot, but it is short lived (a lot like pine).....the big drawback is it stinks!. We cut several monster willows down this summer and I gave it to a kid up the road with an outdoor furnace. I can tell when he is burning it because his whole neighborhood smells like piss......but hey, if it burns good for ya and you don't mind it, go for it!

+1. Stinky, pee-on-the-fire smell.

Yup...left a bit more ash than usual but it's only time we've gotten over 80* in the house with the stove. Supposed to be a lower btu wood, but it went well for us. And we just scored a 60 footer on a scrounge.

When I seen it I was not happy..didn't notice it loading it into my trailer.
Not that much..maybe another 20 pieces.
I keep putting them to the side as I found them.
Even a hot fire with pine did not clean my glass like this willow did..lol.
Plus it really helped bur my coals down
I only dump about every 2 or3 weeks.

I didn't notice the smell ..hopefully the cat cleaned it for the few neighbors I have..but they are not that close.

eclecticcottage said:
Yup...left a bit more ash than usual but it's only time we've gotten over 80* in the house with the stove. Supposed to be a lower btu wood, but it went well for us. And we just scored a 60 footer on a scrounge.
About 7,000 btu for all wood types I hear...but takes way more willow to make a pound if it's dry..really heavy wet.
I do cut some of my own wood now and then..and I'll now cut some up when I run across it..if nothing else just to clean my glass..lol.

Just don't leave it on the ground if you don't want another willow growing the darn stuff will start to grow even from a round!

eclecticcottage said:
Just don't leave it on the ground if you don't want another willow growing the darn stuff will start to grow even from a round!
You got that right! lol

A few months ago there was green growing off a few pieces!

I've burned a couple little trees. Burned like newspaper. Yeah its hot but it doesn't last long and all you have is a pile of ash. Not my favorite but probably wouldn't pass it up on a free scrounge. Works good to knock the chill off on those not so cold nights.

I'd be pissed if I found out I paid for Willow.

I burned up the deformed weeping willow that was in my front yard . . . it tended to burn hot and fast like most softwoods or like bass wood . . . I wouldn't be too happy to buy willow . . . but I would burn it again if I had some . . . especially in the shoulder seasons.

I wouldn't go out of my way for it but it does put off much more heat than I expected.

Reminds me of pine and it also dries quickly. Worst part is splitting it - forget about doing it without hydraulics!

HotCoals said:
When I seen it I was not happy..didn't notice it loading it into my trailer.
Not that much..maybe another 20 pieces.
I keep putting them to the side as I found them.
Even a hot fire with pine did not clean my glass like this willow did..lol.
Plus it really helped bur my coals down
I only dump about every 2 or3 weeks.

I didn't notice the smell ..hopefully the cat cleaned it for the few neighbors I have..but they are not that close.

Cottonwood can clean your glass like that too. Its very predictable. It lights fast, burns fast and hot. Fast is relative.

IF you were under the impression you were getting all hard woods, you might be disappointed. IF you tried to burn willow unseasoned, you might be disappointed. IF you mix it in with your other wood or you use it to burn down a heap of coals from hard wood, you might not be disappointed. I say all this to make the point that I burn almost everything that can be seasoned. The secret is to know how long it takes to season, and when in the fire you want to use it. I burn the spruce at night when the neighbors are inside because it stinks outside, still a good hot fire.

I am burning a Weeping Willow that toppled in the front yard. It would have lived despite being on its side, but after a few years of hoping it would grow some well placed stems so that I could prune it into something resembling a tree instead of a living brush pile, I gave up and moved it to the stacks. There is no mistaking seasoned willow for oak even in the dark because the willow is so light, but it does burn hot.

Willow is one of those woods that is loaded with moisture when cut green. However, it also gives up that moisture very freely so does not take long to dry and is generally used in spring or fall for those short quick fires.

SolarAndWood said:
At first I was like..
wall.gif
..but it wasn't much.
It won't happen again.

HotCoals said:
SolarAndWood said:
At first I was like..
wall.gif
..but it wasn't much.
It won't happen again.
Are you reading the other posts in your thread??? Are you pickin up what we're layin down??? Are you smellin what we're steppin in??? No harm done to have a bit of willow. Now the only reason to have anger over this is if the seller made a claim about the wood that turned out to be false.

Status
Not open for further replies.