1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Winter-proof Wheelbarrow

Post in 'The Gear' started by dumbodog00, Jan 15, 2011.

1. ewgny

ewgny New Member

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    I would only buy a contractors grade concrete wheelbarrow. This is my 1985
    that's usually outside. I spray it up with WD40 sometimes (the wood too). I put a lot of that green
    tire sealer goop in the tire a few years ago to stop a slow leak and it worked great.
    When the tire finally rots out I'll put a solid replacement on it.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. HeatsTwice

HeatsTwice Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Santa Rosa, California
    Yea, that's just like mine except my handles are metal. Btw, Freidman Brothers hardware often sells the solid rubber wheels for $23 (down from $50-$60) twice a year. I've already bought 3 of them.
  3. Wallyworld

Wallyworld Member

Loc:
    Downeast
  4. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Parents have an old 6 footer in the garage at their acreage 1 hr west of me.Not sure of its age,but it was pretty old when my 4 older siblings & I went it sledding over 35 yrs ago,then later on my nieces & nephews used it also.When I was in mid-late 20's a few times each winter I'd tie my saw case & maul to that frame,pull it across the neighbor's flat 7 acre corn/soybean field to cut some dead stuff across the way.Sometimes the snow would be over a foot & a half deep,too much for old Dodge Power Wagon to push through.Easy going downhill with it,not much fun pulling toboggan up hill with 200lbs of stuff on it however.I last used it 3 weeks ago hauling a few logs I cut from a standing dead 14" White Oak to the shed about 300 ft to the west.Not bad on level ground,was pretty tiring since about 1/2 way its a slight incline.Next time I'll use wheelbarrow instead.
  5. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    I bought this one used in 2003 when we bought the house. I figure that I will have it forever or so. I might upgrade to one of those fancy solid tires though. The tire gets soft every 3 or 4 months.
    [​IMG]
  6. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western CT
    Just as long as you realize that the single wheel is much more maneuverable. I enjoy the bit of a workout I get with it too in using all your stabilizing muscles.