Woke up to this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Vg3200p

Minister of Fire
Nov 21, 2021
Clinton county indiana
Horrible straight line winds here last night. Would guess 60 to 70 mph gusts. Woke up to my biggest maple blown over. Luckily It didn't hit house or the cars only the propane tank lol

IMG_20211211_075113073.jpg IMG_20211211_075104596.jpg IMG_20211211_075117306.jpg

I wonder how experts assess 'potential weak trees' before something like this happens? Species plays a part, I'm sure. Dead sections in tree as well.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Bad tornado outbreak last night with many dead, lucky you just the straight line winds and free firewood.

I wonder how experts assess 'potential weak trees' before something like this happens? Species plays a part, I'm sure. Dead sections in tree as well.
I am not an arborist but in the third shot, the tree on the left looks real suspicions to me. It looks like the bark is broken/missing at the ground line. That could be sign of rot in the base.

I am not an arborist but in the third shot, the tree on the left looks real suspicions to me. It looks like the bark is broken/missing at the ground line. That could be sign of rot in the base.
That tree is healthy I think. I knew the tree that fell had some lhollowness. Just didn't realize the extent

Or it could be weed whacker damage (which could, over time, also result in rot there ..)

That tree is healthy I think. I knew the tree that fell had some lhollowness. Just didn't realize the extent
Can you post some close up shots of that particular tree?
Sometimes when one tree gets root rot, the maple that fell, others close by can suffer the same fate.

Reactions: Vg3200p
When we buried my grandmother, I threw an entire garlic plant in there and then planted some cloves just below the surface. Had she been into horses, maybe I would have done a horseshoe as well!