Wonder if anyone else knows

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
I recently split and stacked about a face cord of black walnut. I stacked it very near the road in front of my house. When driving up today, I actually smelled the walnut sweet smell. Do you think anyone else knows what it is. You can't see the wood from the street because of trees.

Only if they are an active member of this forum!

P.S. my nose will be in the air.

My wife trained one of our shih tsus to find explosives. It's his favorite game (have to pick him up to scan drawers- pretty hillarious).

Anyway- I should retrain him on walnut. I should get another cone like he had for his "big boy" operation to concentrate the vapors.

n1287984025_30103064_1553.jpg

Adios Pantalones said:
My wife trained one of our shih tsus to find explosives. It's his favorite game (have to pick him up to scan drawers- pretty hillarious).

Anyway- I should retrain him on walnut. I should get another cone like he had for his "big boy" operation to concentrate the vapors.

n1287984025_30103064_1553.jpg
Thats a great pic :lol:

How does black walnut burn? Does it take a while to season? I have a black walnut in my yard that I really want to take down. I plan on keeping the wood. I'm just wondering what to expect. I guess I can look forward to a nice aroma.

Walnut is not a great firewood, maybe a good shoulder season fuel, but I wouldn't depend on it for real cold weather. Although free wood is always great firewood!

If you know any woodworkers/woodturners they may be interested in some of it.

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
My wife trained one of our shih tsus to find explosives.

This implies you have explosives to train the dog on. Shhhh I won't tell anyone.

We both worked for a company that made explosives screening devices, so small samples for scent were no issue. I shoot black powder too. One time he didn't find the vial of BP we had hidden (one that I keep in my hunting bag for a reload), and later that evening we found him in my office sitting and grumbling at where put it. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.