1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wood at the grocery store

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Iembalm4aLiving, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Iembalm4aLiving

Iembalm4aLiving Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    N.E. Ohio
    I'm guessing this has been discussed before, but I have to chuckle at the firewood stacked outside my local Giant Eagle grocery store. "Firewood - Great deal- 2 bundles for $10!!!"

These bundles contain 5 very small pieces of wood. I'm sure it's dry and burns nice, but holy cow!!! I must have half a million dollars stacked in my back yard!

I'm rich, RICH I say!!!
    PapaDave and Beer Belly like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. basswidow

basswidow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Milton GA
    That stuff sells.....

Perfect for the occasional fireplace user.

You are indeed RICH, as we all are. And don't forget it.
    Beer Belly likes this.
  3. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    I stand as many splits as I can on end in an old metal milk crate, then tie a piece of baler twine around them. At $2 per bundle I sold quite a few this summer. And I still make more money selling it that way than the price I get for my normal bulk firewood.
    PA Fire Bug likes this.
  4. Hass

Hass Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Alabama, NY
    People in my neck of the woods do this often, and make a killing.
    I live on a main road used to go to an Indian reservation (there's 2 roads to get in/out).
    With NYS tax at over $4-5/pack... People flock to the reservations to buy them. Which equals a lot of traffic for sales on fruit/veggie stands and such ;)
    I was thinking about selling all my willow this way... But then I figured someone might end up throwing a split through one of my windows at night when they figure out what a ripoff it is, haha.
    quads likes this.
  5. Badfish740

Badfish740 Minister of Fire

My dad actually has a guy who buys $10 stacks from him practically once a week once December rolls around-looooooooooooves his fireplace. Go figure...
  6. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    See it near entrance of most grocery stores year-round here. Price generally runs $9 for 2 shrinkwrapped bundles of small splits,each one approx. size of 9-10" dinner plate. At that price I could sell the wood in backyard only & take a 2 month vacation.
  7. Joey

Joey Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern USA/ Dirty Jersey/Ocean County
    I wonder how much a cord would cost....if you just bought that grocery store wood,,,,i'm not that good at math.... :smirk:
  8. Loco Gringo

Loco Gringo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western North Carolina
    Someone did the math once. It was about 500-600 a cord I believe.
  9. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    The Thornton's gas stations around here all have firewood racks that are about 18"x28" and sells for $24.99, and they seem to sell a lot of it throughout the year. That's $400 a cord, which means I'm sitting on a touch over $9,000 in firewood, provided I could sell it all at that price.
  10. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    $7.99 a cubic foot at the grocery stores here.

8x128 = $1,024.
    I might be persuaded to sell some of my 5 year seasoned oak for that much.
    Not any less, though.
  11. blacktail

blacktail Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western WA
    My jaw about dropped this summer when a coworker said he spent $80 on wood for a weekend camping trip with another family. That was to cover HIS HALF of the cost!
  12. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Bummer.... I just realized at those rates my firewood is worth more than my SUV.

Hmmm....
    PA Fire Bug and PapaDave like this.
  13. Iembalm4aLiving

Iembalm4aLiving Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    N.E. Ohio
    I don't begrudge the producer of the wood or the store selling it--obviously there is a demand for convenient wood and folks are willing to pay $1 a piece for it. I am spoiled by being able to produce my own.
  14. mayhem

mayhem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Peru, MA
    $10 for 2 packs at the grocery store is pretty cheap. Around here its $6.50 per pack at the cheapest place, and they sell it.

I have used the stuff before and while I wasn't proud of the fact, it was good to be able to stop and pick up a couple bundles when I really needed it. Stuff burns very nicely. Hot and long burn times...just have to spend a little time getting the staples out of the wood.
  15. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    At these prices, one would be foolish burning this stuff for anything but ambiance.

6.50 a pack makes the BTU's in a gallon of fuel oil look very economical.

pen
  16. ChrisNJ

ChrisNJ Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Burlington County
    The price is to cover the cost of shipping it seems to me, most of the bags of wood I see are from overseas, Estonia etc....
  17. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    That always seemed odd to me that it was from Europe. Is there no wood here in The US?
  18. fstmkt

fstmkt New Member

What equipment do you need to split and shrink wrap bundles?
  19. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Might be cheaper to ship the wood to China , have it packaged there then ship it back ..LOL :)
  20. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
  21. Boom Stick

Boom Stick Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Capital Region, NY
    Was down at my brother's house in western north carolina last week for thanksgiving...standing outside a store waiting for him and I see the wood bin. they were selling .75 cubic foot package for 4.50......said "Amazing Deal!...... over the bin.....my iphone calculated the cost of a full cord at 768.00...WOW
  22. Boom Stick

Boom Stick Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Capital Region, NY
  23. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Same around here. Worst yet we have no shortage of idiots buying them in america.
  24. Mr A

Mr A Minister of Fire

Loc:
    N. California
    I just had a conversation about these small boxes of wood sold in stores. I was at the gas station mini mart. I asked the clerk how well the boxes of firewood sell. all the stores around here carry the same boxes, http://www.hotwood.com/home.php
    There were two boxes by the door, he said there was a whole pallet of them a few days ago. People do buy it, 9.99 a box if I remember right. This is for people that don't get it, don't want to get dirty. Nice clean boxes to stack in the stores, put in the car. I bet a lot of people think firewood only comes in boxes from the store.
  25. nate379

nate379 Guest

I suppose the same could be said for people that buy eggs or meat at the store vs directly from a chicken or cow...

Many people have better things to do than cut firewood for the couple nights a winter they light up the fireplace or go camping.
    Gark and quads like this.