1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wood at the grocery store

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Iembalm4aLiving, Oct 12, 2011.

1. IanDad

IanDad Member

Loc:
    Central PA
    My son and I do a lot of whitewater boating and camping. Due to the various bug restrictions, you can't bring wood into state parks, forests, etc campgrounds. Usually it' restricted by county. Seeing as I have so much wood at home it is a little frustrating to have to buy wood "on location", but it is what it is. We are usually on the river all day until dark so there is little time to scrounge on site.

I am thinking about buying some prest logs or the like for this season's campfires.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass

I dangled a buck in front of a chick once and only got a cluck and a squawk.::-)
  3. tymbee

tymbee Member

Loc:
    Upstate NY
    While that seems like a lot-- think about this: People gladly pay a buck and half or MORE for a stinkin' bottle of "sugar water" (soda). Now think about what it takes to make ship the soda vs. the wood. Makes the wood seem like a pretty good bargain to me...

4. firecracker_77

firecracker_77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NWI office - 2 Heritages; Chicago home - Woodstock
    As difficult as it is for me to believe, many people with fireplaces don't want more than a few fires due to the mess. For them, this would be perfect. It's hard for us to imagine, because we know our annual need in terms of multiple cords.

My wife sometimes buys the smaller packages of food even if they carry a premium as we otherwise would end up having waste to dispose of. Difference is, would doesn't rot if kept dry.
  5. leftyscott

leftyscott Member

Loc:
    arkansas
    I sell a lot of cooking wood throughout the year. $10 for a 50# bag of cherry or hickory averages to about $500/cord. I can sell 50 bags easy enough.
  6. Boom Stick

Boom Stick Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Capital Region, NY
    The difference between buying wood at the store vs a firewood guy is price.......The markup is insane......Buy a 1/3 of a cord for 80 or whatever dollars....have it stacked and put where you want it by the firewood guy....done. Still way ahead in savings vs the store
  7. nate379

nate379 Guest

I sold firewood thru this summer and I had several people that asked for 1/4 of a cord, etc. $225/cord, so they wanted that 1/4 for $55.
    Had a few people get actually angry to the point of swearing at me when I said it would be a bit more or would have to wait until I had a full load coming somewhere near them.

8. Boom Stick

Boom Stick Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Capital Region, NY
    more is less....less is more. simple economics.
  9. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    We calculated the cost of firewood at our local convenience store at $940 a cord.
  10. egclassic

egclassic Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SW Ohio
    The other day I was at Lowes and saw they sell a very small bag of Kindling for $6.00.
    I laughed and thought, you could go back to the lumber department and buy an 8' pine board for about the same and get twice as much.
    Point is, I guess, those who buy wood from the convienence stores and bagged kindling from Lowes just do it for the occassion.
  11. ROVERT

ROVERT Member

I bought some of this wood while camping in Delaware this summer. I was actually pretty happy to do so after trying to burn the incredibly wet pine the camp ground sold us.

With all the firewood transportation bans because of the EAB, a thousand dollars a cord seems to be the only way to go when camping. It's either that or burn wet wood from the camp ground or other local sellers. The camp grounds wasn't actually much cheaper.

The stuff we bought was cut, kiln dried and packaged in PA. I remember calculating the price and I believe it came out over $1000/cord. It was very good wood, but certainly hurt the wallet. If anyone lives near Lewes and wants to sell me some firewood for camping next summer at not such an obscene profit, please let me know.