Wood Burning Burns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Hearth Supporter
Dec 31, 2007
colorado
I know there was a thread here just awhile ago about getting burned while loading stoves. Now that I want it, I can't find it so this will have to stand on it's own.

While cooking dinner I remembered that whenever I burn myself, in the kitchen or loading the insert, putting cold water on it and then slathering HONEY on it works like a charm. I have had burns heal overnight doing this. Honey is a great thing. Just remember to put a band aid over it to keep it where you want it.

(Another medicinal note about honey. It works better than cough syrup for those nagging winter coughs that just seem to hang on forever and keep you awake at night.)

BeGreen said:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/35013/

I DID look before starting a new thread. Can't believe I over looked it 2 times!!! This age thing is quite something....but I am too young to be old... :-S

Can you move my piece into the other thread?

Thanks

perplexed said:
I know there was a thread here just awhile ago about getting burned while loading stoves. Now that I want it, I can't find it so this will have to stand on it's own.

While cooking dinner I remembered that whenever I burn myself, in the kitchen or loading the insert, putting cold water on it and then slathering HONEY on it works like a charm. I have had burns heal overnight doing this. Honey is a great thing. Just remember to put a band aid over it to keep it where you want it.

(Another medicinal note about honey. It works better than cough syrup for those nagging winter coughs that just seem to hang on forever and keep you awake at night.)

I've heard of the honey trick before. As a RN I am concerned that infection might infiltrate through the broken skin. Then the sugar from the honey is going to create a high sugar envionment to help the infection take off. Not to mention what kinds of bugs might be living in your honey that you slathered over your burn. Necrotizing fasciitis is real and I know a physician whom i work with who is dying in intensive care because of a pimple on his butt. Always be judicious about your treatement of a broken skin wound, particularly a burn. If you like I could check with some friends in the surgical ICU and ER, and see what is currently being recommended for immediate treatment of partial and full-thickness burns. Otherwise just remember, if it doesn't look right, call your physician.

Never had anything that an ice bath didnt fix, thank goodness. But I would stick to the general first aid guidelines. Cool it down, keep it clean, antibiotic ointment, and cover it up. If it looks ugly, as said above, go see a doc.

CTburns said:
perplexed said:

I've heard of the honey trick before. As a RN I am concerned that infection might infiltrate through the broken skin. Then the sugar from the honey is going to create a high sugar envionment to help the infection take off. Not to mention what kinds of bugs might be living in your honey that you slathered over your burn. Necrotizing fasciitis is real and I know a physician whom i work with who is dying in intensive care because of a pimple on his butt. Always be judicious about your treatement of a broken skin wound, particularly a burn. If you like I could check with some friends in the surgical ICU and ER, and see what is currently being recommended for immediate treatment of partial and full-thickness burns. Otherwise just remember, if it doesn't look right, call your physician.

Burns I am referring to are not open wounds. Just red and blistering 1st degree bordering on 2nd degree types. By morning almost nothing remains of them - including the pain.

I also am in full agreement on 'if in doubt get professional help ASAP'.

I do wildlife rehab in Northern CA. A rehab group in Lake Tahoe worked with a bear cub that had been burned in the wildfires. The bear cub had 3rd degree ++ burns on all four feet. The pictures of his feet looked horrible. Anyway they used four different products one on each foot to see which product worked the best. One of the products used was honey. The honey worked just as well as the other three more expensive medical products. When they were done his feet looked
amazing.
Lynn

When bees make honey, they create a natural antibiotic and anti fungal when storing it in the hive cells, so that it keeps till it is needed. Those same properties keep burns from getting infected. Haven't you ever wondered why you can keep a jar of honey so long without it getting moldy or going bad? I grew up tending hives with my uncle so learned a bunch about honey-lore. Honey will keep for 5 + years sealed in a 5 gal bucket with no refrigeration, and so is a good way to have a sweetener supply for long term storage. Also as was stated good for coughs in the daytime but for overnight relief the best thing ever is to put Vicks vapor rub liberally on your feet....Yep your feet. then put on a pair of sock and you will sleep sound without nary a cough. Try it, it really is a miracle. Do it for the kids and never risk their health giving them dangerous cough meds again. Also gives you an all over warm feeling to boot.

Okay, time for another method. Vitamin E.

We've used this for years with fantastic success. One of the best examples I can give was one time we were in Alaska. It gets cold there in the summer too. One morning we built a campfire to thaw everyone out. Naturally, we made coffee too. Once everyone had a cup of coffee someone sat the coffee pot on a stone at the fire to keep the coffee hot. Whoops. Someone also bumped one of the logs, which hit the coffee pot, which dumped hot coffee on my wife's foot. Naturally, for my wife at least, she had bare feet inside a half open slipper.

Wow, was her foot ever beet red and she was in pain as I went for the Vitamin E. I covered her whole foot. Late that day she was able to put a shoe on. She could not lace it but at least was able to walk with a shoe. The next day all was well.

Another time we put it on a child who had been burned on the exhaust of an atv. Nasty burn. But it all turned out well. So, we always keep liquid Vitamin E on hand.

Ask someone in the burn unit if they know what "sugardyne" is... was a primary treatment in burn units for healing wounds, and preventing infection. Seems that a sugar rich environment and an antibacterial agent was "just what was needed". Still used in veterinary medicine for thrush and wound healing.

If the burn was "open" I'd seriously consider dropping by the doctor's office to get it checked. Infections and burns are not good combinations. Other than that, a nice pair of heart gloves used properly would go a long way toward stopping the burns. I kneel on one, open the door and load then close the door with the other... :)

CTburns said:
perplexed said:

Glacialhills said:
Also as was stated good for coughs in the daytime but for overnight relief the best thing ever is to put Vicks vapor rub liberally on your feet....Yep your feet. then put on a pair of sock and you will sleep sound without nary a cough. Try it, it really is a miracle. Do it for the kids and never risk their health giving them dangerous cough meds again. Also gives you an all over warm feeling to boot.

My sister just told me about that this winter. She also said if you feel a cold coming on and put Vicks and socks on your feet immediately - no cold develops. Haven't had an opportunity to try it yet but she has and said it worked. (Both she and her husband were getting colds. She did Vicks and he didn't . He got full blown cold and she didn't.)

Main ingredients are camphor and menthol so I assume anything with that in it will work too.

Backwoods Savage said:
Okay, time for another method. Vitamin E.

Yep, I love it too. Just don't always have it on hand whereas there is always a jar of honey in the kitchen. (My 12 year old loves the stuff. ;-) )

I spent many years as a professional chef. I found through experience that the best thing to do for a burn is just wash it off, and forget about it. It hurts like @#$@ for the first day.. but then it fades away much faster than if you were to put "stuff" on it. I tried all the common treatments, and found this to be true.

Of course the former EMT in me must say that if you're blistering.. get to the doctor.

I find the burns I get from the stove last awhile. They don't blister but they linger for a week or more. I still have the scar from the last one and that was 2 months ago.

CTburns said:
perplexed said:

The above is rubbish. The idea that honey "takes the infection off" is ludicrous.

Burns are serious and potentially dangerous injuries. They are classified as:

1. SUPERFICIAL BURNS (Old term is 1st degree) - like sunburn causing redness on the skin - remove the source and it will get better. Take ibuprofen, tylenol or aspirin for pain. Call physician or seek medical evaluation if patient develops high fever or area burned is of concern.

2. PARTIAL THICKNESS BURNS (Old term is 2nd degree) - redness to the skin with blister formation - this one is very PAINFUL! Remove the source then immerse in cool water to relieve pain. Analgesics are indicated. Do not put butter or oil on it. If it covers hands, feet, face or genitals, is circumferential around any limb or body part, get medical attention ASAP.

3. FULL THICKNESS BURNS (Old term is 3rd degree) - burned tissue can extend down through all skin layers, subcutaneous fat, muscle and past bone in severe cases. Nerve endings are dead; therefore, no pain. Skin looks black, brown and/or leathery. Get medical treatment ASAP.

If the person burned is under 5 years old or over 55 years old, the severity and morbidity increases and requires medical evaluation ASAP.

Take my advice: Don't mess around with this.

Aye,
Marty
Grandma used to say: "Play with fire and you'll get burned."

Just throwing in a note from my DVM regarding honey and open wounds:
"A note about honey and sugar, since I have some experience treating large open wounds with both. In med school I am fairly certain no one ever mentioned treating wounds with honey or sugar. I am pretty sure I would have recalled that. But after being in practice for about 10 years, some articles were published in a continuing education veterinary journal talking about the wonders of honey and sugar in treating large, open, poorly healing skin wounds. I couldn't believe it at first, but the article was fairly convincing. So I tried it on a number of occasions (sugar more often than honey- less mess) and I was surprisingly impressed. It worked great. I forget sometimes to use it, as most other vets I have worked with have not read these articles nor have they ever heard of it, either... so it's hard sometimes to convince others to try it."

Interesting stuff! My family's old fashioned method of drawing out the pain and preventing a water blister is raw potato. Burn a finger? Bore a hole in a raw potato and stick the finger in there for a time. You can cut the potato in half, take a spoon and scrape the surface until it is weeping, and apply the half to the burn, securing it there for as long as you can. It is surprising how fast the pain leaves.

ashpanannie said:
Interesting stuff! My family's old fashioned method of drawing out the pain and preventing a water blister is raw potato. Burn a finger? Bore a hole in a raw potato and stick the finger in there for a time. You can cut the potato in half, take a spoon and scrape the surface until it is weeping, and apply the half to the burn, securing it there for as long as you can. It is surprising how fast the pain leaves.

More bunk!

In a partial thickness burn, which forms blisters, the "water" (aka blood plasma or serum - the clear part of blood) is protective preventing further injury to the deeper tissues. Thus, the blister(s) should not be "prevented" - they are natural and helpful - or "popped" since they serve a beneficial purpose and reduce pain.

Potatoes contain water. Cool water is what relieves pain in a finger with a partial thickness burn.
The non-water part of a potato is rough. It will not feel good on a burn compared to a dish of cool water.

Aye,
Marty
Grandma used to say, "We now know the enemy. It is us."

Well, Doctors and modern medicine are still the third leading cause of death in the USA, so I'd say much is still needing to be learned and being learned and health care is still in its effective infancy. Everything is bunk to someone, unless it works for them.

Ask yourself who spends the time educating themselves, conducting research and living and giving of themselves operating by the creed "Do no harm". Of course mistakes and tragedies occur; probably always have and always will.

If you considered we lived by "folk lore", you could not compare quality of life today vs a generation or two ago and thank the stars you live now.

Aye,
Marty

On second and third degree burns seek medical help.

Silver sulphadiazine is the stuff for major burns. Just let me tell you that I know this for a fact, and alot of other stuff about burns. 'Nuff said.

Silvadene (silver sulfadiazine) may cause allergic reactions, and should not be used on people with liver, kidney or blood disorders or on infants or on pregnant females. It should be applied by someone who knows what they are doing.

The best advice for the public is as already stated above. Put the burned area in cool water and seek medical advice.

Aye,
Marty

Marty S said:
It should be applied by someone who knows what they are doing.

Agreed, and after several weeks in burn ICU and a 6 month hiatus from normal life, I pretty well know what I'm doing.

Jags said:
Marty S said:
It should be applied by someone who knows what they are doing.

Agreed, and after several weeks in burn ICU and a 6 month hiatus from normal life, I pretty well know what I'm doing.

I'm guessing that you don't look at a hot tub/spa tub the same way I look at a hot tub . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.