Wood consumption

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to say. A big fireplace in an unfinished basement can eat up a lot of wood. How large a space will the Kozy be heating?

Its right around 1200 sqft. But, this fireplace has a big fire box. Which, I hope after the basement is fully finished, that it will not only warm up my basement, but will also heat my upstairs. Which has 1850 sqft.

In WI I have 1400 sq ft with an exposed basement on 3 sides...New windows, and most of the basement is insulated. I plan on 5 cords cause the winter has been cold! I am just past 2 cords now, maybe 7 face cords if that gives you and idea. We just went thru a cold snap of -15 for a few weeks.

Just taking a SWAG, I would say 4 to 6 if burning 24/7. If you go towards the heavy side and have extra, its not like your NOT gonna burn it next season.

I'm right next door to you in Coloado and this season has been mild. My firebox is big (3cu.ft.) and I planned on about 4 cords - learning curve still in process as this is a new insert and I am having to learn how to burn it . I will probably end up burning 3 cords this year

My old insert had a firebox that was 1.7 cu.ft. and I used about 2.5 to 3 cords a season depending on the weather.

My house is about 1800 sq.ft. but due to halls and doorways heat stays mainly in an area of about 900 sq.ft.

Most here will suggest getting more wood than you think you will need and to have an extra years supply drying so that is a lot of wood to get your first year but after that it just rolls along a lot more smoothy.

The drier the wood the cleaner your burn will be so I like to have it ordered by March - stacked and drying for the fall start up.

I checked again, I actually am up to 3 cords used...maybe a little more! Just did not want to give yo a false hope :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.