wood fireplace chase construction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

firesideshawn

Oct 24, 2017
michigan
I have a company I am purchasing a Georgian 42" wood fireplace from, they are doing the install of the fireplace but I am doing the framing of the addition. The fireplace will sit inside the living area with the chase built up on the outside of the house. So the pipe will angle out of the house at 30 degrees into the chase and then up the outside of the house and above the roof line. There is a fire stop in the chase at both floor levels. My question to the company installing the fireplace was whether I should insulate at the fire stops and where the pipe goes through the wall. They didn't think so, mentioned if I wanted to then maybe insulate just where pipe goes out of the house and then leave the chase uninsulated. As I have been doing online research it sounds like some advocate for a heated chase and others discourage it as it is impossible to insulate right up next to pipe or at the chase top and then condensation will occur. Thoughts? Chase is framed but open on one side and ready for the fireplace company to come out. I am trying to keep from having one of those fireplaces that that is cold/drafty when not in use and properly drafting when in use