Wood guys. How would I fall this tree in my front yard? I want to use it for firewood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lugoismad

Hearth Supporter
May 5, 2008
Ohio
I have a dying tree in my front yard I want to cut down before it takes out my front porch in a wind storm.

What do I need to do to cut it down safely? I've never done a tree this big and in this tight of corners before.

new_house041.jpg

new_house042.jpg

new_house043.jpg

I'm assuming I can go rent a pole saw (looks like a long ass weadeater with a chainsaw blade on the end of the pole) and limb it out a bit. Then use my truck and a rope to put tension on it in the direction I want it to go, and fall it into the street away from my house, then drag it around back to cut it up into smaller pieces?

Or should I go about this different?

Oh, and obligatory picture of my ever expanding wood pile. I have 12 pickup truck loads stacked up back there now, and the pile is all the stuff to small to stack easily.

new_house044.jpg

Bite the bullet and hire a pro to bring the thing down safely for you...then you can deal with it on the ground. Rick

fossil said:
Bite the bullet and hire a pro to bring the thing down safely for you...then you can deal with it on the ground. Rick

They wanted $350 to do it, thats a bit out of my price range. Besides, I need an excuse to go buy myself a good chainsaw and get some experience with it.

Is that tree not in city, village or county property? They should do it for free, I hope

With little experience I think you would be good to get help or hire someone to cut it. The tree looks like it is on city property (street right of way) so at the least you should contact the local government to see if you can cut it. Maybe if they know you want it removed they would send out one of their crews to fell it for you before it falls on a passing or parked car. :)

Good luck with your project.

Call your homeowner's insurance agent and tell him the tree is dead and is going to fall on your house or somebody's car going down the street. After a limb or two falls and bops somebody walking by.

You just may be surprised.

Carl said:
With little experience I think you would be good to get help or hire someone to cut it. The tree looks like it is on city property (street right of way) so at the least you should contact the local government to see if you can cut it. Maybe if they know you want it removed they would send out one of their crews to fell it for you before it falls on a passing or parked car. :)

Good luck with your project.

My dad mentioned that when he was over, and I asked the lady at the county building when I payed my utilities, and she said no. But I think you may be right, the more I think about it.

I'll go a bit higher up the food chain.

Depends on the locality, I think. It's an easement, almost certainly, but the maintenance of whatever gets planted there may be the homeowner's responsibility, unless it's a "park" maintained by the city or the county. When I lived in Northern Virginia, there was a forested county-owned park next to my property, and I brought to their attention a couple of dangerous dead poplars over there that threatened my home. They sent a crew out and dropped them safely, no charge to me. The trees planted along the strip between my front yard and the street, however, were my responsibility. Sometimes the power company crew would cruise through and lop off a limb or two, but other than that I took care of them or paid a tree service to do what was beyond my capability. The county would have nothing to do with those trees. Rick

I have a similar situation and was talking about this with one of the tree guys I know. Apparently around here that tree is county property and I need a permit to do anything to it. The county will not maintain it and if it falls, it's my problem. At least I'll get the wood...

Chris

If the county won't do it, get your ladder and chainsaw out and be a man. Looks like a piece of cake.

wahoowad said:
If the county won't do it, get your ladder and chainsaw out and be a man. Looks like a piece of cake.

You were in a fraternity at Faber College weren't you Wahoo?

I forgot to add that I just paid $2k to have the trees removed from around my house :red:

wahoowad said:
...get your ladder and chainsaw out and be a man.

Now, there's a pair of tools which, when used in combination by one with little experience can make him a good deal less of a man before he can hit the brake or the kill switch. :ahhh: Rick

Get pro to cut it,leave. It looks like it needs to be climbed.

1. Move the silver car....
2. Drop the limb on the street side
3. Drop the limb with a tension rope towards the house (the limb, not the rope). Cut just from the back towards where you want it to fall. Almost cheat towards the street as well. Is there any pipes in the front yard? If not, pull towards where you were taking the picture.
4. Back limb, can't tell from the pic. Which way will it go?
5. Drop the trunk.

Doesn't look like that hard of a tree, I could be wrong if I am standing under it. BUT REMEMBER, INSURANCE WILL NOT PAY FOR DAMAGE YOU MAKE.

Chad

BrotherBart said:
Call your homeowner's insurance agent and tell him the tree is dead and is going to fall on your house or somebody's car going down the street. After a limb or two falls and bops somebody walking by.

You just may be surprised.
Insurance company will tell you to take care of it, it's your responsibility. Then they will make a house call to make sure you do. And if you don't, they will cancel you.

lugoismad said:
fossil said:

They wanted $350 to do it, thats a bit out of my price range. Besides, I need an excuse to go buy myself a good chainsaw and get some experience with it.
Are you kidding? That's a good deal- take it! And the experience you need with a saw should be on a few logs first, then a few live, small trees out in the open with no obstructions around with a buddy who already has the experience. Those dead limbs can give you a "killer" headache.

Don't know what part of ohio your from but here a tree that close to the road is the citys responsiblity.
Call around to different divisions of the city and ask. IF it is your responsibility then like others said
pay someone to do it they will have the right equipment to take the tree down. With little experience
theres alot that can go wrong.

Since it's on the outside of the sidewalk it's the cities tree call your local councilperson tell 'em it's a menace and you would like the wood. Just say'en I wouldn't cut that tree...it's a block and tackle job.

savageactor7 said:
Since it's on the outside of the sidewalk it's the cities tree call your local councilperson tell 'em it's a menace and you would like the wood. Just say'en I wouldn't cut that tree...it's a block and tackle job.

I thought it was more a saw and wedge job.

Oh boy, the he!! with it..nothing a stick of dynomite and a match wont take care off! :ahhh:

If you think 350 is too much you're wrong. Just remember they got to pay fuel, insurance, workers comp, and wages. If you don't feel safe, hire the guy and tell em to leave the wood.

Ya for real, No reason to get yourself hurt or take the risk of damaging property. It would be much different if that tree was in your back yard away from everything or you had some more time behind the weel of a saw. Its just plain not worth the risk you have there. IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.