Wood ID. Birch?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

billfred

Burning Hunk
Jul 28, 2015
indy
IMG_4908.JPG
IMG_4909.JPG

Smooth bark on branches. Peeling bark on trunk. In So. Indiana.

Appears to be black birch. When and if you cut it, you should smell strong peppermint. It’s what Birch Beer comes from. Great firewood - I burned some in the fall. Highest BTU of the birch family I believe.

Even if you stab the bark and peel up with the tip of your knife, you should smell the peppermint. That’s a dead giveaway that you have Black Birch.

I was going to go with black cherry . . . but then again I don't see much -- any -- black birch around here.

Either black birch or black cherry. Smell test should settle it between those two, but I think birch.

I’m thinking black cherry also now. No spearmint smell. On The neighbors property. Not sure if I’m going to mess with it or not. Still, I guess black cherry is decent also?

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Pretty sure it is Black Cherry...and yes it's good firewood.

Black cherry is my guess. But I don't know black birch.

Vote for black cherry, but I don't have any black birch here.
Cherry makes awesome fire wood.

For the record I like black cherry . . . only negative is with fresh cherry I keep finding myself stopping while splitting it to smell the split. My wife has caught me on more than one occasion taking a deep whiff of that beautiful, sweet smell. It's a bit embarrassing to get caught smelling wood as if it was a fine wine.

For the record I like black cherry . . . only negative is with fresh cherry I keep finding myself stopping while splitting it to smell the split. My wife has caught me on more than one occasion taking a deep whiff of that beautiful, sweet smell. It's a bit embarrassing to get caught smelling wood as if it was a fine wine.
Haha that was me with the Black Birch.

Reactions: firefighterjake

I like smelling the fresh cut/split wood too. My wife always looks at me funny too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cherry...black birch smells like wintergreen when you split it.

Black birch is a fantastic wood to burn. Cherry is OK.

Reactions: saewoody
My vote is definitely black cherry.

Its cherry, I have tons of it here, it's so so due to the ash it creates but if you mix it with other wood it's not so bad.