Wood ID on a split

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Split

Aug 28, 2022
Nova Scotia, Canada
I have a number of different species of split that I have received. I don't know most of them unless they have the bark. However, there is one species I have that o just can't figure out. It has a distinct pattern unlike other splits I have. Would like to know what species it is if you have an idea.

It's a heavier split for sure. It's got a light brown and white streaking to it.

20220902_123630.jpg 20220902_123548.jpg

Looks a bit like oak to me. See the rays on the split and the wood that was under the bark.

But yellow though (and too far north?).

So I don't know.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Looks a bit like oak to me. See the rays on the split and the wood that was under the bark.

But yellow though (and too far north?).

So I don't know.
I was thinking oak myself. I know it's mixed in there. When I received the oak it was very green and so pinkish on the inside. Not so now. We have tons of oak here in Nova Scotia. But still not sure.

Beech here as well but these splits are big. Most of the beech I have is quit small. Maybe I'll try to debark some beech and see if they match.

Thanks for the responses.

Could be oak indeed. Bark doesn't look like beech to me

i guess oak but by no means am i sure.

These are three separate splits, all close-ups of the ends. If those thin lines are what they call 'rays' then this is oak and I have a decent amount of it.

20220902_181134.jpg 20220902_181110.jpg 20220902_181046.jpg

No, the rays are on the split face, not the cut face. Google for medullary rays. They are small areas where the fibers go perpendicular to the main (axially oriented) fibers of the trunk.

The first pics have some darker spots where.i thought to see that.

Well,.maybe you can see them too on the cut end (after googling). So maybe you are right (too).

Well,.maybe you can see them too on the cut end (after googling). So maybe you are right (too).
I just say some guy on vids identifying firewood without bark and such. He has a vid or two. I saw you mentioned rays and he pointed to the split face do I thought you were talking about the same area. I'll google medullary rays too though.

The face that the axe split, not the face that the saw cut.

But maybe it is also visible on the face.that the saw cut. I never identified rays there. In my experience oak likes to split thru these days, whereas a cut is just random. So chances are higher to see them on a split face.

But again I might be wrong. Others here may chime in and explain more.

Reactions: Split
I think red oak also. I’ve seen some oak trees laying in the woods that look like that with all the bark gone.

Reactions: Split
Went to my stacks.
This is what I was talking about. From a 3 yr old split. The lighter areas at the bottom look like they have fibers perpendicular to the grain.

I do remember seeing them occasionally in maple too. Not as prevalent as in red oak.

IMG_20220902_193547382.jpg

Went to my stacks.
This is what I was talking about. From a 3 yr old split. The lighter areas at the bottom look like they have fibers perpendicular to the grain.

I do remember seeing them occasionally in maple too. Not as prevalent as in red oak.

View attachment 298623
Ah, I see. We're looking at the same thing. Yup. It's oak. That's good news. I'll be looking into the particular species next. Appreciate the help and knowledge.
.......Medullary rays. Learned something new today.

I learned the same here too. Good website!

Not sure you'll be able to learn the species of oak without much bark and leafs. But oak is good no matter what.

I learned the same here too. Good website!

Not sure you'll be able to learn the species of oak without much bark and leafs. But oak is good no matter what.
Yeah most of my oak splits are quite large. I just bought a Fiskars wood splitting axe. I might need to split them again for better seasoning. I'll sa e them for next season '23'24

Reactions: stoveliker
Keep m.off.the ground, top covered, and in the sun with some wind. I season oak 3 years. 2 yrs (2 summers) is possible, but the outcome depends.

Get.a moisture meter (I have the mmd4e). That'll tell you (if you measure on a freshly resplit surface, along the grain, in the center, and at room temperature). <25 pct is ok, <20 pct is ideal.