Wood ID on a split

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I've been messing around with my digital Multimeter. It's fun but a small small pain to put in and remove small nails each time. I'm still not 100% sold on the accuracy of moisture meters. I just might have to get one and compare the two. Certainly more convenient.

The multimeter will be not much different from a moisture meter; they both measure resistance. The latter just had the conversion table programmed in it. But it also has the sharp pins that facilitate the measurements.

Absolute accuracy depends more on where you put the pins (crossing growth rings or not, inhomogeneities in the split), how deep you press in the pins, the temperature of the wood, the species of wood etc. Don't take it as an absolute number. But a good relative number, and you'll figure out over time what works for you.

Reactions: Split
Works for you - as in drier works better in the stove, but there won't be much difference below a certain percentage, and below a certain percentage it takes a lot of time to further improve.

those first pictures look like white oak to me. if so white oak has more btu's than red

Oak. Is it from Oak Island?

The wood likes red oak. The bark looks like red pine.

Joake Island?
Sir: in 1284 AD the Knights Templar sailed the fleet across the Great Ocean. They landed in Nova Scotia. Using indentured Irish slave labor they built a fantastic underground complex on Oak Island, in which they buried the Ark of the Covenant. You live right next door, why don't you get out there and find that treasure?

Sir: in 1284 AD the Knights Templar sailed the fleet across the Great Ocean. They landed in Nova Scotia. Using indentured Irish slave labor they built a fantastic underground complex on Oak Island, in which they buried the Ark of the Covenant. You live right next door, why don't you get out there and find that treasure?
Wish it were true. Lol

Oak Island

I wonder, how many shovels have been worn out there? Lol
Oh God those guys are reaching so hard. The weird thing is, many moons ago in the 90's a man from Florida (while I was there) gave me a book called 'Holy Grail Across the Atlantic.' The author described two islands, one in the west, Oak Island and another on the east of my peninsula which also had oaks. Apparently acorns don’t float. This island would be very close to me. He stated that those two islands were markers for two rivers that went inland (the Lehave in the west and I think the Gaspereau in the East). He claimed that where those two rivers meet there is an undiscovered settlement. He claimed it would change our history of North America. And somewhere here in Nova Scotia is the holy grail. (I think he stated it was a bloodline).

I'm too big of s skeptic now and warch/read these books shows just so I can shoot down their arguments and fallacies. But I gotta admit... it would be fun if... just if it were true....