Wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dima1973

Feb 12, 2017
Philadelphia, pa
Hi guys I am looking for some ideas of what this is this.

20180405_080435.jpg

I have never seen cherry yellow like that, but other fruit woods like peach have that coloration. Does smell sweet like fruit? Is it a large tree, may rule out most fruit trees.

I took this picture on my way to work this morning. On the way back the wood was gone. This sucks because it was about 1/8 mile from my house.

Thank you all for trying to ID.

Cherry has bark, then white then red/orange... not bark, dark then white heart wood.. not black cherry.

if that's not cherry, i'll eat my hat! EJP1234- I think the sapwood is messing you up. looks like the sap was runnin hardcore when the tree was cut which makes the sap ring look darker than the red heartwood

Funny, this pic was also taken on my way to work this morning. Similar distance from my house. I assumed cherry. Gone by the time I got home tonight. Tree fell over from yesterday’s winds.
IMG_0376.JPG
IMG_0377.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: D8Chumley
It might be cherry, but its not black cherry... black cherry is red/orange heartwood with whitish exterior ring then bark. This tree is opposite.

Black Cherry. not a bout adout it

Ditto

The way all these ID threads have been going lately...that wood is whatever you want it to be:rolleyes:. It's firewood/btus. If you scrounge for 100% of your wood then beggars can't be choosers and in time you will learn the trees of your area and which species to grab and which to stay away from. All wood burns.

Reactions: saewoody