Wood ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ironworker

Burning Hunk
Dec 3, 2011
Upstate NY
Cut the last of my logs and came across one that was easy to cut, light, with a very greenish color and thick bark, about 1 1/2" thick, I do not know what it is, will post a pic later if It will be more helpful.

From that description, I might guess Black Locust...except for the "light" part. BL is not light.
Pics of bark, end grain and split would help a lot.

Greenish wood could be Tulip Poplar. Big Tulips have thick bark on the lower part of the trunk, and should be lighter than Black Locust, the other greenish wood. Bigtooth Aspen could also be sort of greenish, I guess.

I've thought black locust weight wise was on par with softer maples.... Not a lot of water percent but this was also done after I was done cutting hickory!

The greenish wood and light weight said tulip poplar to me, but I've never seen an old one's bark.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.