Wood ID take a guess, CL add

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDRock

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2012
Grand Blanc, Mi
First pic looks like maybe ash on the right
What do you think the one in the middle in the first pic is?
Single tree second pic ??

00F0F_iVnoMqvFS7_600x450.jpg

00q0q_381BxjSgXMi_600x450.jpg

The second one might be Cherry but I'm not sure; if it is it's a tall one....but you couldn't have them laid out any easier to cut, they're just laying there flat with no branches to deal with, just waiting for someone to "slice and dice" ;)

photo #1 Basswood all three stems. Very common for basswood to grow in clumps.
photo #2 Cherry

Last edited:
cottonwood and cherry

Since it appears you are on "high and dry" type of soil conditions there, and being that you are nearing the extreme north range of cottonwood, I'm very certain it is not cottonwood. Cottonwood this far north while scattered is always found in pretty wet soils, esp. this time of year.

Reactions: Lakeside
You are trying to decide to go cut it?
Or just speculating?
Cherry is nice to go a few miles for but the other wood, for me would be a gamble.
Are you allowed to make one slice?

I found 3 linden trees on my property last summer. I was able to add another type to my list of silvic species. lol...
The books say they have little drupe pods that are supposed to persist into the winter sometimes. Or fruit stems.
The bark on these young trees is uneventful. Nothing to stand out at you.
I havent studied the tree enough to help here,
except honeybees like the flowers, which wouldnt interest a wood scrounger.
My 'Basswood' trees were ID by leaves and the little seed drupes.
Anyway, the trees in your CL Ad dont look like aspen or Box elder or willow so you are safe.
Like someone said, they look easy to get to.

Status
Not open for further replies.