Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

num1hitter

Feb 9, 2012
Reading, PA
I was visiting a family member and they had a tree taken down last fall. I need some help with the ID . I am trying to learn but not very successful. Any help would be great to determine whether or not to go cut it up. I am hoping its not poplar but that's my guess. It is about 2 ft diameter.
IMAG0341.jpgIMAG0342.jpgIMAG0343.jpg
IMAG0342.jpg
IMAG0343.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0344.jpg
    IMAG0344.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 106
You have great pics. Its nice of you to put twigs with the wood. Nobody does that.
I have no idea. Im not as snobby about others here about poplar. Its a great renewable resourse. It burns clean and is a great wood for taking the edge off a chilly room. If you dont mind processing I would pick it up.
Dont know what it it.

I don't know for sure but my guess is Ash and I am rather certain it is not poplar. Someone will come along and straighten me out if I am not telling the truth.

That's great if it is ash. I am looking for some wood to help my father-in-law for next year. I am just happy to hear that you think it is not poplar. I honestly had not idea.

Sure looks like ash bark and I think it's said ash has the oppisite twigs like you show there. The dark heartwood sort of throws me off though for ash.

Looks like Tulip to me...

Reactions: ScotO
yellow poplar/tulip for sure.

Looks like ash but pictures can be tough of IDs
Bark could be ash or poplar but the darker center looks like ash.
Got some pics of a few splits?

100% certain.

Some give that yellow poplar a bad name but it will still furnish you with some good heat. Just not good for holding a long fire. Spring, fall and/or daytime burning.

I will let me father-in-law know the type of wood and let him decide. I will offer my help if he wants to transport it. Thanks a lot for the ID.

Status
Not open for further replies.