wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone. So it seems like black birch and poplar? Are those good woods? I will send another picture. I'm surprised you guys say poplar he said it was all either birch, oak, ash, maple. Thanks again!

Attachments

• 20150529_160137.jpg
    20150529_160137.jpg
    439.3 KB · Views: 111
I will send another picture. I'm surprised you guys say poplar he said it was all either birch, oak, ash, maple.
Tulip for sure, from that pic. Shoulder wood, or you can split it small for kindling; Straight pieces will split pretty easy.

Tulip for sure, from that pic. Shoulder wood, or you can split it small for kindling; Straight pieces will split pretty easy.

Not to revive this thread but, I talked with the seller. He swears it is Ash and that ash looks like poplar. He said he only sells hardwood and only anything with high BTU. in the load he gave me, most of it is black birch and oak. Could this be ash and not poplar? Also, it is pouring now, and the unsplit rounds are dark red idk if that helps.

Thanks guys!

I don't know about the red, but the green/yellow tinge (can be purple, as Fred Wright mentioned) and the look of the end of the split in that last pic says Tulip to me. I've been fooled into thinking I saw White Ash, more than once, by Tulip bark, so he's right about that. I've also seen Tulip bark that is easily distiguished from Ash. The Ash-like Tulip bark tends to have flatter ridge tops than Ash. May also have light gray in the bottom of the bark fissures. I wouldn't feel bad about it if you got mostly Black Birch and Oak. Tulip is useful. You'll know for sure when you burn it, though; Won't burn as long as White Ash will. It dries fast, so that may be a good thing, depending on how far ahead you are on wood.

Last edited:
I don't know about the red, but the green/yellow tinge (can be purple, as Fred Wright mentioned) and the look of the end of the split in that last pic says Tulip to me. I've been fooled into thinking I saw White Ash, more than once, by Tulip bark, so he's right about that. I've also seen Tulip bark that is easily distiguished from Ash. The Ash-like Tulip bark tends to have flatter ridge tops than Ash. May also have light gray in the bottom of the bark fissures. I wouldn't feel bad about it if you got mostly Black Birch and Oak. Tulip is useful. You'll know for sure when you burn it, though; Won't burn as long as White Ash will. It dries fast, so that may be a good thing, depending on how far ahead you are on wood.

Thanks a lot! I took another pic of the woodpile. if you look on the top you can see a round that is practically red from the rain...strange. almost everything under it is black birch. On the left you can also see the rounds that I don't know what it is. Thanks again guys

Attachments

• IMAG0001.jpg
    IMAG0001.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 117
So you went to the wood seller and said you had poplar? Lol Ouch...
The red round on top of your pile is something different than what youve showed us so far.
You definitely have Black birch but the other stuff...idk.
The one piece with the olive streak looks very Tulip. Sorry, (Tulip is not a poplar.) But whatever that is, its not Ash either, I dont think. Ash had ridges that weave and make diamond patterns. This wood you showed has straight ridges. Woody is right that the bark is very close. Its possible your wood guy made a misjudgement. Depends on whether he is cutting the trees or not.
There are some Ash trees that never get mentioned here, like Pumpkin Ash.
You have to use a lot of resources to make a positive ID. And your second wood is hard to tell.

So you went to the wood seller and said you had poplar? Lol Ouch...
The red round on top of your pile is something different than what youve showed us so far.
You definitely have Black birch but the other stuff...idk.
The one piece with the olive streak looks very Tulip. Sorry, (Tulip is not a poplar.) But whatever that is, its not Ash either, I dont think. Ash had ridges that weave and make diamond patterns. This wood you showed has straight ridges. Woody is right that the bark is very close. Its possible your wood guy made a misjudgement. Depends on whether he is cutting the trees or not.
There are some Ash trees that never get mentioned here, like Pumpkin Ash.
You have to use a lot of resources to make a positive ID. And your second wood is hard to tell.

lol no I did not I just talked to him and told him my concerns. The round on the top that is red is from the same rounds that look like tulip (only it got wet). I am entirely confused. Most of it is birch and some oak which I am happy with but some is those pictures I sent. It's all good thanks for the help though!

That red one could be Mulberry, hard to say from that pic. Split it and take pics. ==c
the olive streak looks very Tulip
Good description of the hue.
Another clue on the pic in post #1 is the smoothness of the split face (although some of the other pics show more grain; there can be a lot of variation in wood of the same species.) White Ash is usually a little more grainy. I was at my BIL's today and took a couple White Ash pics. Like applesis said, there are different Ashes as well, such as Green.
001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG

That red one could be Mulberry, hard to say from that pic. Split it and take pics. ==c
Good description of the hue.
Another clue on the pic in post #1 is the smoothness of the split face (although some of the other pics show more grain; there can be a lot of variation in wood of the same species.) White Ash is usually a little more grainy. I was at my BIL's today and took a couple White Ash pics. Like applesis said, there are different Ashes as well, such as Green.
View attachment 158535 View attachment 158536 View attachment 158537

Excellent. Thank you very much. The split was kind of smooth, hard to explain. I appreciate all the help! The bark does look almost identical to the pictures you provided and the way it looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.