Wood id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Catfish Hunter

Burning Hunk
Jun 14, 2016
Western Wisconsin
cc5c0b9e13fc55af434811635fe00efe.jpg

c8692b608292a5b25947475f0f6e147d.jpg

050325f64617358ae0a0ff6d6615b54d.jpg

Any ideas on what this is?

It was standing dead. Very straight grain splits like a dream. I was guessing red elm or dead ash?? I'm really not sure [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lighting in the pics is so yellow hard to see any color or contrast, but based on bark I'd say red elm. I just had an ID post for very similar looking wood, standing dead, but no bark. Think mine is elm too. Any odor? And how heavy?

Red tint to the bark and splits easily leads me to believe it could be Sassafras, in which case it would smell like Root beer or lemony Pine Sol. Take a whiff and report back ;lol

Sassafras. I love burning it. Dries quick, easy to split. Lighter woods burn awesome in my cat stove.

Yes to odor to the wood and very yellow-brown color to the wood with distinctive rings.

Looks like ash to me. Even though ash is typically whiter I have seen it as brown or browner that that. I trimmed my house out with a lot of ash and always would set aside the dark stuff to save for contrast wood.

Looks like ash to me. Even though ash is typically whiter I have seen it as brown or browner that that. I trimmed my house out with a lot of ash and always would set aside the dark stuff to save for contrast wood.
All of this stuff was ash - I found a wetter piece and got a sniff - it's now quite dry and burning hot!!

Black Ash