Wood ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BamaScroungr

Burning Hunk
Feb 21, 2015
Huntsville Alabama
Found a few logs of this on the side of the road.

IMG_20170223_160346_958.jpg IMG_20170223_160357_881.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
In central NJ that looks like Black Birch or cherry. Does it smell like root beer?

I split about 1/2 cord of black birch today, great stuff. 9bb6ec247c3d5148a7c4869dc8789061.jpg

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
I've seen black birch and I don't think this is birch. Never dealt with cherry, but the wood doesn't seem dark enough? I could be wrong.

If you were up here in the great white north
That would be Cherry because we do not have black birch

Well I'd be perfectly happy with cherry, I've heard nothing but good things about it here!

My guess is pin cherry.
The southern tip of growing ranges for both pin cherry and black birch is in OP's area of Huntsville AL.

An excellent identifying and (distinguishing) characteristic for both black or sweet birch (Betula lenta), and also for yellow birch (B. alleghaniensis) is its wintergreen smell from wintergreen oil (methyl salicylate, think Ben-Gay ointment). Methyl salicylate is also found in teaberry (Gaultheria procumbens).
When cherry (Prunus) twig is scratched/ bruised it will have smell varying from bitter to almond, but definitely not the pleasant wintergreen smell.
So next time out scratch and sniff some twigs.