Wood ID!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dannynelson77

Feeling the Heat
Jan 5, 2010
PA
Any ideas just from these two pics?

Attachments

• wood.jpg
    wood.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 560
  • wooda.jpg
    wooda.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 571
It's a tough one, with out seeing a split. The color looks like Chestnut, but that could just be my monitor.

No other guesses out there guys? Bark kind of resembles Ash doesnt it?

It was standing dead so the guy said he couldnt tell by the leaves as it didnt bloom this year.

I'd say Ash. My boss gave me a while bunch he had from a standing dead in his yard.

dannynelson77 said:
Any ideas just from these two pics?

Hackleberry

I TRIED to post hours ago several times saying that it looks like Ash to me, but I couldn't. So I'll say it:

"Looks like Ash to me....."

I can't see that pic for some reason but I know Green Ash is much less ridged looking than White Ash. To me, this looks like White Ash.

Just read now that the bark is similar in both Green and White Ash so its almost impossible to tell them apart via bark alone.

It doesn't look quite right for Ash, in my opinion, but could be ash I guess. The fact that it was standing dead makes ash seem like a good guess. Lots of Ash are dying in PA.

Thats White Ash cut from a 32 year old tree that had moderate soil drainage and mostly full sun till the afternoon.

Or thats my guess anyhow.

Danny, split one and lets look again.

I think I have two of those dead and one alive with leaves on the hill behind my house.
You're more than welcome to come cut both of them into nice 16 inch long rounds and stack them just like your pile behind my house to see if they match.

gzecc said:
Danny, split one and lets look again.

I pick up the wood tonight. So I will split one and see how it looks in person. If it isnt Ash, I just can't think of anything else it would be around here. Its got to be Ash.......

Well it certainly does not look like white ash.

Backwoods Savage said:
Well it certainly does not look like white ash.

lol glad I am not the only one that cant see ash in that picture!

Well I picked the load up last night and split a piece. Matched right on with all the other White Ash that I have split which I know is Ash since I cut those trees down.

Maybe some of the moss on the bark is throwing people off? Or Ash just grows different in different regions?? It looked like the pictures which sure looks like Ash around these parts.

dannynelson77 said:
Well I picked the load up last night and split a piece. Matched right on with all the other White Ash that I have split which I know is Ash since I cut those trees down.

Maybe some of the moss on the bark is throwing people off? Or Ash just grows different in different regions?? It looked like the pictures which sure looks like Ash around these parts.

post some close ups.o me it looks like sweet gum or hackleberry but I could be wrong but Dennis does nothing but ash for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.