Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 27, 2009
Connecticut
What type of wood is this?

How long will it typically take to season?

Attachments

• 100_3596.jpg
    100_3596.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 398
Can't be sure, but I would guess a young or upper branch maple.

I was also thinking maple......

Silver Maple and it will season very quickly. Ignites easily, burns a little quickly but is nice wood.

Another Silver Maple vote. Looks just like the stuff I recently had taken down. It's split and stacked, sitting in the old hay barn waiting for the winter after this one. I've often wondered what causes that dark "star" like pattern in the heart of Silver Maple. Any thoughts?

Looks like Hackberry to me, I split and stacked a full cord of that about a month ago. Most of the Maple I have split seems to have a much darker heartwood, at least the Silver Maple I am splitting now does. Hackberry seems to be pure white all the way through and has that beautiful smooth bark.

Bark is too smooth for hackberry I think, silver maplegets my vote.

Hackberry has warty knobs all over the bark.

it looks like either red or silver maple to me - i don't think you can tell from those pics. red maple is a little heavier when dry than silver.

I think it is either Red or Silver Maple. Either one is considered 'soft' maple, and should dry in a year, maybe even by this winter if it is in a good drying location.

Status
Not open for further replies.