Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cluttermagnet

Minister of Fire
Jun 23, 2008
Mid Atlantic
They were cutting these at Enchanted Forest State Park and the guys said take all we wanted. I got as big a load as I could manage. Wish I had a trailer! Anyone know what type of wood this is and how long it will need to season?

Squaretree.jpg

That wood is grown specifically for structural use. Usually found in 12x12 size (yours in photo), but also comes in smaller (6x and 8x) dimensions. It's a real score for woodburners, as it is naturally seasoned while standing. Generally referred to as pohsotohp (native American name), with local spelling variations.

Reactions: weatherguy
That's obviously BOXelder. :cheese:

Woody Stover said:
That's obviously BOXelder. :cheese:
+1 no question about it!

Use those for end stacking. They really work nice. We grow some every year so that we can stack wood without cheating and using T-posts like Zap does.

Reactions: weatherguy
I'd say white bread with dark crust made from refined wheat flour.One pastrami with pepperoncini,onion,hot mustard please,hold the tomato.

Never seen such a thing! Dennis, you grow some every year? They grow that fast? I want to grow some

Yes Cody, they are a special hybrid. They aren't cheap but well worth it when it comes to stacking those things.

Not cheap? Better start using t posts like zap and I. :) Anyway, I'm not finding anything on google from what Dan called it. Something fishy goin on here!

:lol:

Yup, I see it now! I got all excited about it too

That's what all of our trees look like in the midwest. I don't see what you guys are getting all worked up about. LOL

The Japanese, lacking in agricultural lands but not in ambition, opted for the square watermelons as being a much more space economical crop. They are selling well and require no sawing, other than by the end consumer.;)

square-watermelons-3.jpg

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
That stuff will take forever to season...

Status
Not open for further replies.