wood insert and chimney liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

G Archer

Aug 7, 2008
Middle Georgia
Hi folks, I just found this site and it looks like a place to get good info on woods stoves etc...
I am thinking of installing a wood burning insert in an old fire place.My chimney is brick 25ft. tall and goes through the attic.It has no liner so I know it will need to have one installed.I was wondering if you could use 6" stainless steel schedule 10 pipe for this since I already have some on hand. I am a millwright so welding it together wouldn't be a problem.Could you recommend a brand of insert? My house is 2000 SQ. ft. with 11ft. tall ceilings.Thanks for any help..

Glenn Archer
Middle Georgia

To bring a chimney like that up to spec, you have to wrap the pipe with insulation - usually a ceramic wool type. While the pipe you mention is certainly MORE than thick enough, in theory it is not a "tested and listed system". This does not mean it will not suffice - your local building or fire official is the one to make such determinations. Again, it sounds like it will do the job (with insulation)....

Ideally, it would be 300 or 400 series stainless or equiv.

As to various inserts - it's pretty warm in GA, so you don't want to get something too big. Lots of potential choices......are there any stores near you that sell stoves? If not, you can purchase something over the net, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.