Wood Insert Burn Times

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jibba

Oct 1, 2014
NH
I'm looking to potentially install a wood insert into an existing fireplace and am curious to know which models have the longest burn times. I've seen a fair amount of conflicting information out there on the subject, so curious to know what some folks here have experienced. Thanks for the help!

Burn time varies with the climate, the wood species, time of year, stove, operator, etc.. A general guide will be the firebox size. Figure 3-4 hrs per cu ft capacity. The exception being some catalytic stoves like the Blaze King Princess which can smolder letting the catalyst eat the smoke. That can extend the burn time when running at low heat output. When pushed for heat, most stoves are pretty close as far as burn times.

Reactions: chance04
Alot of variables including how much sq feet you are trying to heat, but mainly you will be limited by the size of your fireplace, some of the bigger units like the Kuma Sequoia or the Buck 91 are bigger inserts and can hold more but you need a larger fireplace to hold them.

Me personally I get between 8-12 hours of heat per load depending on how much heat I want out of my insert heating 1200 sq feet.

The conflicting information about burn time can also come from the fact that there is no generally accepted definition of it. Some equate it with the time they see a fire burning. Others go by the time the stove gives off "meaningful" heat (with "meaningful" another rather fuzzy description). A third group considers "having enough coals left for an easy restart" as their definition of burn time. In general BeGreen is right: The larger the insert the longer the burn times. And a catalytic stove will give you longer burn times than a same-size secondary burn one when put on low. That difference will be much smaller when the cat stove/insert is run on high.

Reactions: iamlucky13
The conflicting information about burn time can also come from the fact that there is no generally accepted definition of it. Some equate it with the time they see a fire burning. Others go by the time the stove gives off "meaningful" heat (with "meaningful" another rather fuzzy description). A third group considers "having enough coals left for an easy restart" as their definition of burn time. In general BeGreen is right: The larger the insert the longer the burn times. And a catalytic stove will give you longer burn times than a same-size secondary burn one when put on low. That difference will be much smaller when the cat stove/insert is run on high.

True - thanks for the reply.

Alot of variables including how much sq feet you are trying to heat, but mainly you will be limited by the size of your fireplace, some of the bigger units like the Kuma Sequoia or the Buck 91 are bigger inserts and can hold more but you need a larger fireplace to hold them.

Me personally I get between 8-12 hours of heat per load depending on how much heat I want out of my insert heating 1200 sq feet.

Thanks for the response. 8-12 hours would be fantastic.

Burn time varies with the climate, the wood species, time of year, stove, operator, etc.. A general guide will be the firebox size. Figure 3-4 hrs per cu ft capacity. The exception being some catalytic stoves like the Blaze King Princess which can smolder letting the catalyst eat the smoke. That can extend the burn time when running at low heat output. When pushed for heat, most stoves are pretty close as far as burn times.

Thanks, appreciate the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.