Wood Insert & rebuild

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tadd

Jul 19, 2008
SanFrancisco Bay Area
I am currently doing a remodel which requires removing my masonary fireplace and chiminey. I have side by side fireplaces which face opsite directions. I want to remove one and rebuild the other. The one i want to rebuild has a quadra-fire 2700i insert and I would like to keep this. Is it possible/advisable to build a new non-masonary firplace around this insert. If so what would it require?

Maybe, what's the plan? Define, non-masonry.

I need to remove the existing Masonry. I deally i would just frame in the unit with wood like a new fireplace unit. Can I use this unit as a standalone and build a wood frame around it or would it need to sit in a new firebox of somesort? Or do I need to start over with a different type of unit?

Short answer, no. The insert is designed to be used in an approved masonry fireplace or as an insert in approved ZC fireplaces. From the manual:

NOTE: This installation must conform with local codes. In the
absence of local codes you must comply with the UL1482,
(UM) 84-HUD and NPFA211 in the U.S.A. and the ULC S627
and CAN/CSA-B365 Installation Codes in Canada.

Considering the stove needs a rebuild, I would start over and get something that will do exactly the job it is intended to do. We were faced with a similar problem. I sold the insert and got a freestanding stove and installed a new metal flue system for it. It was a lot of work, but in the final analysis, it was worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.