Wood pile robbed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that sucks and probably a neighbor. Me I would drill out a few logs and put a little potassium nitrate and sulfur in there and plugs to the logs. It would be easy to find out who stole them in a few days the fire dept will know where the explosion took place. Beside a couple of dogs here the parker double barrell 10 gage is quite a deteriant. Long ago i did catch two guys helping them selves to my wood pile from my bed room window 30 /30 I shot out the front and back tires and put another on into the engine block for good measure. They screwed no confrontation.

2 dogs - one little yappy dog(maggie), cocker spaniel, and one serious as a heart attack dog(moe)english bulldog, a fully fenced property, 4 foot fence in front, 6 foot in back.

Most people stop at the fence.

Attachments

• doubletrouble001.jpg
    doubletrouble001.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 537
elkimmeg said:
I agree that sucks and probably a neighbor. Me I would drill out a few logs and put a little potassium nitrate and sulfur in there and plugs to the logs. It would be easy to find out who stole them in a few days the fire dept will know where the explosion took place. Beside a couple of dogs here the parker double barrell 10 gage is quite a deteriant. Long ago i did catch two guys helping them selves to my wood pile from my bed room window 30 /30 I shot out the front and back tires and put another on into the engine block for good measure. They screwed no confrontation.

I think this is the best way to go. I caught the guy that stoll wood from my wood pile. He lived a few houses away. When he came home I was sitting on his deck in a chair with my feet up on his table. He asked what the hell I was doing. I said wondering how my F***ing wood got in his yard. I told him he had 2 choices he could buy me a 1/2 cord and have it delivered or you could use you'r teeth to carry My wood back to my yard. He chose to buy the wood. I picked up my ball peen hammer and said all you had to do was ask and I would have said goahead and take what you need and walked home.
JOHN

earthharvester said:
elkimmeg said:

I think this is the best way to go. I caught the guy that stoll wood from my wood pile. He lived a few houses away. When he came home I was sitting on his deck in a chair with my feet up on his table. He asked what the hell I was doing. I said wondering how my F***ing wood got in his yard. I told him he had 2 choices he could buy me a 1/2 cord and have it delivered or you could use you'r teeth to carry My wood back to my yard. He chose to buy the wood. I picked up my ball peen hammer and said all you had to do was ask and I would have said goahead and take what you need and walked home.
JOHN

John:
Are you a full service dentist or do you specialize in extractions? The site of you on my porch after borrowing would certainly cure my purloining fetish.

Sign on the pile that states:
I have a web-cam pointed at the wood pile you will be caught.

Even if you dont have a web-cam just the thought that he is being watched will probably keep him from coming back.

The sound of a pump action shotgun cycling a shell is known world wide as a great theft deterrent BUT you have to be home.

YEEESH
No respect for my Jonsered and guns are mentioned and Browning is left off the list :(

Rock salt will not work. As soon as the load goes off the salt turns to powder.Sure you will get a lame Report but skin damaging projectiles will not result.
Try letting your neighbors know of the theft ,telling them to be on the look out and that you are armed....I bet the thefts will stop

Does anyone use a driveway gate?
I think a manual one might be a pain to use but the electric ones gotta be expensive, and then you have to run electric to it.

DriftWood said:
Get a police report if it all goes put in a home insurence claim.

This thread has a lot of ideas.

I was having a good day until…..

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/4514/

beware of this! First of all, your deductable is likely much higher than the amount you lost, unless you are buying that $300.00/cord wood :cheese: Secondly, you can/will be labelled by the insurance co as a "problem" and most likely wont get renewed.

As angry as it would make me I wouldn't result to gunplay. The police would likely view you as the problem, not the thief. Now.....that said....you try to enter the house and the formula changes. Hope you catch them.

Paintball guns are always an option. Especially if you're bored enough to set one up on a motion sensor. Entertains the pets too.

Hi -

A Rat Trap with a strategicly placed hole and a .22 blank or Power Nailer shell can really motivate uninvited guests to leave the area. Especially if combined with a sign. The trap can be a ways away from the pile if one ties a string to it. One might want a photo so the vistors don't claim the 'shot' came from the house.

ATB,
Mike P

Don't file an insurance claim or you'll pay in higher premiums besides your deductible probably won't cover it. Often people are dropped after a claim too.

That's a drag. My wood (4 cord worth) is between the house and the road and at night it is pitch dark here. I never had any stolen. I have often considered what I'd do but frankly I doubt there is anything you can do other than moving it into a more protected area like the back yard? That would be my alternative but what a lot of work, due to a septic system, I'd never let them dump the wood back there.

Motion detectors that sound an alarm? Deer would trigger them tho. Read a few good options along those lines here.

Tom

As angry as it would make me I wouldn’t result to gunplay.

In all seriousness David, of course you are right. To quote Patrick Swayze in "Asia: The Movie":

"We don't really wanna kill ya ... we just want some answers" :zip:

ELK: Me I would drill out a few logs and put a little potassium nitrate and sulfur in there and plugs to the logs.
Not a bad idea, but is it code compliant? :)

I'd go with the monitoring and picture gathering approaches rather than anything that would do harm. Not because of any humanitarian impulses, I think society started downhill when they quit hanging horse thieves. Rather from the practical standpoint that in most jurisdictions the storm troopers and their buddies, the bad lawyers in black dresses, will give you more grief than they will the thieves if you so much as scratch a hair on their slimy butts... I think that's disgusting, but that's the state of our current legal system. :snake:

OTOH, if you can get an ID on the perps, the gestapo probably still won't do much, but at least then you can make a fuss at them about it.

Gooserider

There must be SOMETHING that could be inserted into a hollowed out log that would ruin someones stove/chimney or fill the house with an impossible to get rid of smell...

What about some gasoline in a leakproof container.... you could put the gas inside of a tall skinny container that used to have Brake fluid or a can of 105 octane gas treatment.... ... or a can of starter fluid (ether) or some D batteries...

If you put one of theses inside of a hollowed out log and then plugged it up , what would happen? Essspecially a can of 105 octane gas treatment

It would be a shame if you had to loock up your fire wood in a box like they have at Lowes for the propane bottles...

My 2 cents...EarthHarvester hit the nail on the head, and I have had to do the same thing. Luckily I was able to track down the individual..I waited on his front porch, with a nice louisville slugger 34 oz...not to babble but I had my property returned...Promptly...(ball pean hammers come in handy..bad memories of em tho) :vampire: I have motion lights in all areas...

Precaud, any updates. Any luck finding out who made off with your hard work and warmth.

Thanks for your concern, Griz. And thanks to everyone for their advice. Many good suggestions in there. I've been lurking and reading posts but haven't felt like posting, still a bit stunned by it to be honest.

Without getting into all the details, they parked their truck in the lot next door behind the dividing wall, two sets of footprint tracks made multiple trips. The cops never came, they called me, gave me a case number and wished me luck. Kinda what I expected. There's no way for me to dig into it any further.

As I had posted a few weeks back, I had gone thru my entire woodpile and cut it down to 16" so it would fit in the Quad. At the same time, I had organized the stack by piece size, 'cause the Quad likes bigger pieces. Well guess what they took? Almost all the large pieces. So even though I'm not quite finished with my experiments with the Quad, it has to come out today. It doesn't like the smaller diameter wood. Too bad, because it is outrageously efficient and really does a better job heating this space that the Morso. More on that in a few days. The good new is... the 3rd week of January is statistically the coldest week of the year for us, NWS shows our cold snap ending on Wednesday, so heat requirements will be less demanding from here out, and I hope enough is left to get me through.

As far as protecting from future theft, I haven't decided anything yet. One idea is to distribute the storage into three separate areas, the other two aren't visible from the driveway. I like the gate idea, but there's no fence there so it would be kinda useless... so there we have it. Time will tell.

If you do find out who it was put the fear of God in them and make them pay and pay hard. No need for police. Let us know how you make out.

I assure you I will do that.
A sad thing about this; one set of footprints was much smaller than the other, I think we all know what that means. If for no other reason, the adult needs to be caught for the poor child's sake.

precaud said:
I assure you I will do that.
A sad thing about this; one set of footprints was much smaller than the other, I think we all know what that means. If for no other reason, the adult needs to be caught for the poor child's sake.

In that case, if you have any kids in the schools, or are on good terms with any, it might be worth asking if there is anything going around on the rumor mill - teachers might also get this, but are a bit less likely to. Kids are tremendoush blabbermouths, and will constantly dime each other out.

Gooserider

How about a covered dog Kennel to keep wood.

I had thought of doing this for the wood pile and building 4x4 post to make a roof and mount the kennel to the outside post and hinge them to the 4x4's .

Just a thought .

http://www.classypetshop.com/dog-kennel-roof-cover.htm

Attachments

• Outdoor%20Dog%20Run%20Frame.jpg
    Outdoor%20Dog%20Run%20Frame.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 427
  • dog%20kennel%20with%20cover.jpg
    dog%20kennel%20with%20cover.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 418
Built a shelter as pictured with kennel fence around the outside.( built to size needed)

Attachments

• shelter#2.JPG
    shelter#2.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 473
  • shelter.JPG
    shelter.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 466
Status
Not open for further replies.