Wood pile robbed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Enclosures aren't a bad idea, but it seems like you need to be cautious about not spending more money on the enclosure than the wood is worth.... It doesn't make much sense to spend a thousand dollars (picking a number) to protect $500 worth of wood.... Also consider that you don't want to make legitimate access to much of a pain.

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
Enclosures aren't a bad idea, but it seems like you need to be cautious about not spending more money on the enclosure than the wood is worth.... It doesn't make much sense to spend a thousand dollars (picking a number) to protect $500 worth of wood.... Also consider that you don't want to make legitimate access to much of a pain.

Gooserider

I guess thats up to the owner . I dont have an issue around here, but i say that now. $500.-$1000. on a shed that will protect $2200. worth of wood ( 15 cords X $150. for me) year after year , after year .....

I think its a little closer to home than explosives in the wood or parking on the back porch with a shotgun.

Of coarse I'm sure some one that dont want to upgrade to a modern EPA wood stove and spend the $$ is not one that is going to spend a dime on a protection wood shed .
( J/K Goose u ole' smoke dragon) ;-P

The last thing you want to do is take a shot at these dudes. Christ you would end up the one in jail and these bums have the law all on their side. Enough said on that just don't even think about that one, bombs or any other thing that might be in any way construed as harmful to the poor little dears. At best you would scare em, at worst you could wind up in stirr ( and New Mexico has one of the scummiest Pirsons in the country BTW) and its entirely likely the bastards would end up with everything you own. All these crum bums know about the free legal aid available and the good counsel will be happy to help himself and the bum right into your assets. Anything but personal self defense of your life is a crap shoot with it being worse on the east Coast and country justice being much more accepted in the Mid West.
About the best thing you can do is just make them go somewhere else. Thieves take what is easy and safe so make it harder for them. That can be as easy as illumination or keeping it closer to the house. Farther from the road or road access means a lot too. No one is going to haul wood 100 yards to their truck in relays. Keep it away from easy access that way. To find out who it is you can get one of those game trail cameras from Gander Mountain or Cabellas. That sensor works amazingly well and takes fantastic pictures . You will have to make sure its mounted up in a safe location that wont get grabbed after the flash goes off. Chances are the flash and seeing their pic was taken will insure no returns now or ever. You could and probably should file a police report so its on file. That will make it easier to prosecute them in the event you get a pic of em in the futrure and they get prosecuted.
In the end you will probably find or come to figure its someone near by who knows who you are where you are and when so they can do their thing. Make it harder for them and they will simply go bother someone else, someplace else.

I'm suprised did you know this happens on construction sites all the time .I have had all the insulation stripped from a home. I have havd boilers stolen that was piped running and running I found out when there was 2 feet of water in the basement. Insurance for construction sites is a joke they never paid a claim Lost an entire lift of plywood and studs one night.

Its so bad I have had the home owner stealing from me. I would have never known if I had not tripped a fuse and seen the pile of lumber in the cellar matching exactly what was missing

I had every windod broken ina rough frame the next day after installation I had my hydrolic hoses cut tires cut on my dump truck for no apparent reason. Over the years it has cost me quite a bit Not counting tools stolen. So if i seem a bit protective now you know why. People think nothing to helping themselves to a few 2/4s or sheets of plywood

Driz said:
The last thing you want to do is take a shot at these dudes. Christ you would end up the one in jail and these bums have the law all on their side. .

Funny you should mention that... It may be true up north, but here in Texas (I am not saying I would do it) once it is dark, you can use deadly force to protect your property and your posseions as well as yourself.

It is such common knowledge here that for the most part, it keeps the after-dark crime down.

In fact, the justice system feels so strong about protecting this right , that when a repo man was shot (after dark) while he was in the act of legally repo-ing a car (shot as he was driving off) , he screamed for the man to be arrested and when the police refused , he sued the man and lost. (in Houston, i think).

It might seem a little "Old West" to some, but folks know not to come nosing around after dark with an invite and to do so is to take a chance on getting shot.

Again , I am not saying I would do that. But I am proud that the law thinks this way down here.

I’m suprised did you know this happens on construction sites all the time .I have had all the insulation stripped from a home. I have havd boilers stolen that was piped running and running I found out when there was 2 feet of water in the basement. Insurance for construction sites is a joke they never paid a claim Lots an entile lift of plywood and studs one night.

Its so bad I have had the home owner stealing from me I would have never known if I had not tripped a fuse and seen the pile of lumber in the cellar matching exactly what was missing

I had every windod broken ina rough frame the next day after installation I had my hydrolic hoses cut tires cut on my dump truck for no apparent reason. Over the years it has cost me quite a bit Not counting tools stolen. So if i seem a bit protective now you know why. People think nothing to helping themselves to a few 2/4s or sheets of plywood

Problem sloved......Go to this Guys site and avail yourself of the materials to build an encloseure

Driz said:
Make it harder for them and they will simply go bother someone else, someplace else.

Now that's the kind of neighbor we all need...

Killing or maiming someone because they stole some firewood? I hope you all are kidding.

Around here good neighbors are your best defense. Instead of showing up on your neighbors doorstep with a baseball bat, try inviting them over for a cookout or Superbowl Party. I wouldn't want to live somewhere where I didn't consider my neighbors friends.

precaud said:
I assure you I will do that.
A sad thing about this; one set of footprints was much smaller than the other, I think we all know what that means. If for no other reason, the adult needs to be caught for the poor child's sake.

It's really sad. The 'lesson' that some parents will teach their children these days.

I really hope that you find the culprit and that if it does no good for him / her, it does make an impression on the child.

Texas sounds like a sweet place to live... unless your a thief. I think Texas has a good law. Its not the fact of what there trying to steel its more the fact they are. And thieves will go to great lengths to steal, possibly harming you or your family. I would have to assume that if someone was on my property after dark, being suspicious, they are there to possibly cause harm to me or my family. I would have no problem using deadly force..... if I lived in Texas that is. Here in Ohio you must let them runaway.

Metal said:
Killing or maiming someone because they stole some firewood? I hope you all are kidding.

Around here good neighbors are your best defense. Instead of showing up on your neighbors doorstep with a baseball bat, try inviting them over for a cookout or Superbowl Party. I wouldn't want to live somewhere where I didn't consider my neighbors friends.

I agree Metal. Seems whenever one of these types of threads comes up, the option of hurting or killing someone is suggested. I'm not against defending ones property, but I would only use deadly force if I felt my family or myself were at serious risk. While it may indeed be frustrating to have your property stolen or vandalized, that does not give the property owner the moral right to take a life of another human being. It's just firewood. A life cannot be replaced.

I suggest taking measures to secure the wood pile to prevent future loss, period. Maybe place the wood closer to the home. Maybe a security light, a camera, a warning sign, etc.

Take the high road, turn the other cheek, don't lower yourself to the thiefs mentality. My 2 cents.

-Kevin

Metal said:

My neighbors are friends except one

A 2 inch hole filled with black powder works wonders and meets code also!!

When I mentioned all those types of shotguns ( I know skipped the ever famous Remington) I mention these because as already stated, Everyone knows that " Oh Crap" sound of metal on metal pump action noise of a shotgun, And believe me it freezes thieves in thier tracks! We had the Pleasure of catching the crooks that were robbing our CB's, Fuel, and other stuff from my buddies Black Top company once. We sat in the constuction trailer night after night for quite some time, till paydirt one night. A pickup truck with 3 thieves came in to the yard, we killed all lights and waited till they had the siphon tube in the tank, and another in the cab of one of his dump trucks, CHA CHING, man they froze! Held them at gun point till the county sherriff arrived, this after the NYSP said thier nearest car was 22 miles away unreal! And this is in a fairly populated town between Hyde Park and Rhinebeck NY. One guy actually peed his pants, the yard is adjacent to a factory, but dark as hell, and close to the woods, so my buddy put all kinds of thoughts in thier heads, like wheres all the rest of my stolen stuff, if you dont start yapping we'll bury ya in these woods with that back hoe sitting there, a true redneck yeah but a hard working company owner tired of being robbed, noone got shot, but noone ran, and they were convicted! Elk around here they rip out brand new plumbing on construction sites, to scrap the copper, the local junk guy must know the stuff is new, but dosen't care I guess, cause my plumber tells me they do that alot lately!

Stating the obvious but maybe all these surveillance ideas are good for construction sites as well . . . sad to say but back 10 years ago a good buddy of mine had a roommate that went crusin' to rip off stuff from construction sites .. . once he started ripping off computers from the college lab my buddy turned him in . . had f'in enough . .the kicker was this kid's father was a state trooper

True story happened quite some time back I in the back yard greasing up my backhoe and In the distance I can hear my dogg barking Normally he does not bark that much but he is protevtive. I hop on the bachhoe and see an old beat up looking pickup truck sitting in my yard I don't reconise it. It running and a guy sitting in the driver seat with head phones on .Off to the cornor I see someone duck behind the cornor of the house I position my back hoe next to the truck so that the passenger door can't be open swing the backhoe bucket over the top and right in front of the driver's door At this time the driver finally figures out something is up but he can't open the door By now I am menacingly smaking the bucked down beside that door. He rolls uopen the window as shouts something to his friends I not that good at Spanish But I did not need an interpeter to figure it out At this point I have curled the buck under the truck and lifting it off the ground and realeasing it. A little higher each time Might as well give him a ride. I'm sure he soiled his pants. Finally I lift the truck up and go into the house to call the police. I think he was glad to see them. they caught his two buddies running down the street come to find out the police found plenty of evidence in the back of the pk truck tying thes guys into other breakins.

I resisted crushing that truck up which I easilly could have done. I'm not into using deadly force hell I have not hunted in 25 years got rid of more of my guns Wife did not want them around with kids growing up. In a way. I would rather be considered a bit crazy, keeps idiots guessing. I don't mind if people get the impression of DFWM.

Oh boy would I have liked to filmed that one! Glad they werem't wielding guns.

wrenchmonster said:
Metal said:

I agree Metal. Seems whenever one of these types of threads comes up, the option of hurting or killing someone is suggested. I'm not against defending ones property, but I would only use deadly force if I felt my family or myself were at serious risk. While it may indeed be frustrating to have your property stolen or vandalized, that does not give the property owner the moral right to take a life of another human being. It's just firewood. A life cannot be replaced.

I suggest taking measures to secure the wood pile to prevent future loss, period. Maybe place the wood closer to the home. Maybe a security light, a camera, a warning sign, etc.

Take the high road, turn the other cheek, don't lower yourself to the thiefs mentality. My 2 cents.

-Kevin

I understand where you are coming from Kevin, but at the same time, I'd throw out a couple of other thoughts on the matter...

1. A thief that steals my property, has stolen part of my life as well... I put my TIME into that property, whether it was directly in splitting the wood or making whatever else it is, or whether it is the time I worked to earn the money to buy whatever it is, the thief has stolen precious, never to be recovered hours out of my life - so it's not just "stuff" thats been taken....

2. When one lets a thief get away, whether with the goods or without, you have in effect taught him a lesson, namely that crime is a low risk, potentially profitable activity. You also left him free to go on with his career, and rip off some other person. Does this mean that you to some degree share in responsibility for that thief's future crimes?

Worth thinking about,

Makes me feel more outraged that the gov't in many places will penalize the person who defends his life and property more than they would have penalized the thief.

(Even so, it is worth noting that in surveys of criminals, consistently the number one fear is the armed victim, while the police and legal system barely make the bottom of the list....

Gooserider

elkimmeg said:
True story happened quite some time back I in the back yard greasing up my backhoe and In the distance I can hear my dogg barking Normally he does not bark that much but he is protevtive. I hop on the bachhoe and see an old beat up looking pickup truck sitting in my yard I don't reconise it. It running and a guy sitting in the driver seat with head phones on .Off to the cornor I see someone duck behind the cornor of the house I position my back hoe next to the truck so that the passenger door can't be open swing the backhoe bucket over the top and right in front of the driver's door At this time the driver finally figures out something is up but he can't open the door By now I am menacingly smaking the bucked down beside that door. He rolls uopen the window as shouts something to his friends I not that good at Spanish But I did not need an interpeter to figure it out At this point I have curled the buck under the truck and lifting it off the ground and realeasing it. A little higher each time Might as well give him a ride. I'm sure he soiled his pants. Finally I lift the truck up and go into the house to call the police. I think he was glad to see them. they caught his two buddies running down the street come to find out the police found plenty of evidence in the back of the pk truck tying thes guys into other breakins.

I resisted crushing that truck up which I easilly could have done. I'm not into using deadly force hell I have not hunted in 25 years got rid of more of my guns Wife did not want them around with kids growing up. In a way. I would rather be considered a bit crazy, keeps idiots guessing. I don't mind if people get the impression of DFWM.

Gee could you post the police report of that?
I would like to use it in my class.

Gooserider said:
I understand where you are coming from Kevin, but at the same time, I'd throw out a couple of other thoughts on the matter...

1. A thief that steals my property, has stolen part of my life as well... I put my TIME into that property, whether it was directly in splitting the wood or making whatever else it is, or whether it is the time I worked to earn the money to buy whatever it is, the thief has stolen precious, never to be recovered hours out of my life - so it's not just "stuff" thats been taken....

2. When one lets a thief get away, whether with the goods or without, you have in effect taught him a lesson, namely that crime is a low risk, potentially profitable activity. You also left him free to go on with his career, and rip off some other person. Does this mean that you to some degree share in responsibility for that thief's future crimes?

Worth thinking about,

Makes me feel more outraged that the gov't in many places will penalize the person who defends his life and property more than they would have penalized the thief.

(Even so, it is worth noting that in surveys of criminals, consistently the number one fear is the armed victim, while the police and legal system barely make the bottom of the list....

Gooserider

While I consider my time valuable, and certainly have my blood, sweat, and money in my property, I still feel that it's "stuff". I'd rather live with the loss of my time and material possessions than live with the knowledge I've taken a human life in defense of my firewood, regardless of how the legal system views the matter. Generally speaking I avoid confrontation. I'm not a chicken, but I won't engage someone if I don't have to. A gun fired off in the air can serve as an effective deterrent. Again, the issue for me is violence and the use of deadly force. If someone has broken into my home, that is another story.

As for the teaching a lesson portion... well it is my belief that a thief is a thief. It matters not whether he/she is a president of a company embezzling money, or someone ripping off your wood pile. The lesson of not stealing is learned in childhood. I don't feel compelled to serve as anyones teacher, unless it is a child/kid involved in the crime. An adult who is a thief needs help, and frankly I'm not qualified to help that individual. I don't feel responsible for their actions, period. I'd rather spend my time where I can help and better society, and leave law enforcement to the pros.

I do wholeheartedly agree that legislation needs to be improved to aide in a reduction in crime and recitivism.

-Kevin

I don't know about improved legislation to reduce crime. It seems to me that it is already against the law to steal (insert any other crime here) and that obviously doesn't work with some people.

What some folks need is a good old fashioned ass whoopin. Like Elk, I'd rather be known as the slightly off balance guy that just might leave a mark on you if you mess with him, his family or property, than the guy that would let you run and just call the police. Whether it's true or not, it keeps them guessing and hopefully moving on to another softer target.

I don't think anyone is seriously advocating killing someone over a pile of firewood, just making them think twice.

precaud said:
Someone made off with a chunk of my wood pile last night. Looks like about 1/3 to 1/2 cord is gone. Yes, of course, I'm pissed. But the greater concern is, if it happens again, I won't have enough to get thru the winter. Any suggestions on how to combat this? I can't think when I'm so angry.

This is the reason folk consider stealing stuff so bad here. It used to be life and death, not just loss of money or the time it take to earn it.

If a man took your horse, you might die before you could get back to where you were safe. I still remember my Grandpa's smokehouse out back... He showed me the holes from shotgun pellets in the side of it where his dad shot at a thief one night.

He told me they never turned anyway away hungry, but if someone stole their meat out of the smokehouse, he might not be able to feed his boys (all 6 of them) until he could trade some of his spring hay or "spring corn" (the liquid kind) for some more... You just could not count on being able to trade for more ...

Both lesson's sure made an impression on me.

I don't think I could take another man's life unless I knew it was me or him... But that was the point of the law behind hanging horse thieves... It was a matter of life or death. If not today, maybe next time. If you knew there was a rattlesnake in the cellar , you would not wait for it to bite you or your family... you got rid of it first. Leaving a thief around was viewed the same way... A threat to one was a threat to all... ..

And, when folks know that every one has guns and they have the law behind them if they should use them, it tends to breed a little more respect of others and their property.

Having said all of that, good neighbors are a real blessing. Each one looking after the other.

Peace and respect ... hand in hand

elkimmeg said:

Always keep them guessing Elk. I know I do some of the guys at work say john you aint right. :coolmad:

I have to agree with the liberals in here ( and you all know how much I loath the thieves, walfare and the like crowd) that shooting someone over wood is just not justifiable even if you do live in Texas. I will agree with the pump shotgun though. I never got to show one to a convict trying to escape but one of my Co Workers did. He let them cut the inner then start on the outer fence before he dumped the window in the tower and racked in the buck shot. They though it was empty and were about 40 ' away almost straight down. They dove back through the hole full throttle back into the big yard and ran for cover. We used to find raincoats stashed once in a while. They used them for poor mans body armor but I never saw or heard of anyone putting it to the test. Nasty sound one of those makes. The legend and truth is simply this. IF YOU CAN HEAR IT YOU ARE IN RANGE. Funny, its one of those instinctive things that no one ever told you but you just know. Still I wouldn't use it on the guy but he wouldn't have to know that. It could very well make him dirt his britches. Its one of the few lessons those bums ever learn besides the fact that doing stupid petty crimes like that simply won't land them in jail. It just doesn't and even if it does its not long enough to make an impression. If you saw some of the rap sheets and sentences I have you would know what I mean.

EH and Ma loger you will like this one There is a run down farm on North st near the RR tracks in Foxboro, called Lawtons. Old man Lawton, BTW third cousins of mine,
Well when building the new foxboro Pat's stadium, the plan was to have a rear VIP road. The original plan was to have the state go threw Lawton's farm and take it by eminent domain if necessary

Old man Lawton would have nothing to do with it. It was his farm. I'm 81 years old I going to die here and no amount of money is going to change my mind. The state planned to take it anyways, but old man Lawton had other ideas. He loaded 3 shotguns and sat on his rocker waiting. Sure enough the first buldozer is dropped off. The opperator took exception of having a doubl barrel 12 gage point at him. and called the police It resulted in a standoff. Old man Lawton was not going to back down. No matter how many pieces of papers were produced. No shots were ever fired and the last thing was. no party wanted to be part of an incident, nor did they want the press involved. The stadium owner and the state found it was easier to buy out one of his neighbors homes

Btw I have no police report of validate this story only as told to me by my third Cusians And to be truthfull finding a police report might be impossible this thing was hussed up

Status
Not open for further replies.