Wood question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are many factors to seasoning firewood. You must first understand wood density and how the density of the wood effects the release of water.
Add to that the microscopic structure of the wood. Black Locust is plenty dense, yet dries faster than some less dense woods....

Black locust will season in a year. Honey locust takes at least 2 years and 3 would be better.
Good to know; I'm familiar with drying and burning BL but not HL, and my neighbor has a dead HL that I'll be getting this year.

It doesn't dry at a faster rate, it starts off with way less moisture than most wood so it simply has less drying to do
If you had a split of White Ash and one of Red Oak (which are similar in density,) same size and shape, at 27%, I'm thinking the Ash would be dry a lot quicker....

Reactions: tsquini
If you had a split of White Ash and one of Red Oak (which are similar in density,) same size and shape, at 27%, I'm thinking the Ash would be dry a lot quicker....
That is an interesting question. I'm not sure they are similar density. I would like to see if that I'd true.

Ummm. . . ok

I'm not sure they are similar density.

OK, let's say Sugar Maple and Red Oak, they are probably even closer. Would the Maple dry faster? I'm guessing it would, but haven't run a study for myself on it. The way everyone talks about Red Oak, and not woods that are even more dense, I figured there had to be something behind it. I've heard what Bigg_Redd is saying before as well. I'd be interested in hearing the comments of some of the seasoned seasoners on the board. ==c

Last edited:
Moisture meters are an important tool for the new burner that is not 3 years ahead in their wood supply....
Once you achieve that and have gained experience in the knowledge of the practice of drying wood correctly, you can then throw that meter out the window or give it to a new burner in need.......
All the burners that say you don't need one are either way ahead on their wood supply or just being stubborn......
The day will come when you no longer need one but till that happens, it's an intelligent tool every new wood burner should have in their box......IMHO

IMO its a valuable tool that will save a ton of work if used effeciently. For example, you drop a dead standing tree, take a reading, its <20%mc. Its goes right to the stove. No need to sort it , stack it, re-stack it. Saves maybe 2 tons of work! Then again we could guess!

OK, let's say Sugar Maple and Red Oak, they are probably even closer. Would the Maple dry faster? I'm guessing it would, but haven't run a study for myself on it. The way everyone talks about Red Oak, and not woods that are even more dense, I figured there had to be something behind it. I've heard what Bigg_Redd is saying before as well. I'd be interested in hearing the comments of some of the seasoned seasoners on the board. ==c
I just stacked two face cords side by side of each a couple days apart. Will be interesting to see the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.