Wood Rack Recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
Looking to get a 4' rack to store dried wood up at the house. Want to have one with a cover to keep off snow and rain before I bring it into the house. I see some full covers flap open to access the wood. Other racks have a half cover so it just top covers like my stacks.

Anyone care to express an opinion as far as what's easier to live with? Thinking about ease of filling and removing wood. Half cover may not cut it since I don't want to have to air dry the wood at all if it rains or snows but would be easier to access.

How's about hoops vs square racks, any preferences?

I bought two of these from woodland direct: https://www.woodlanddirect.com/Woodhaven-Black-Firewood-Rack-5
We have a covered porch, so I don't need the covers. Not sure if they have a 4ft model, but they do have some options with full covers. I rarely buy things that I think will out last me, but I think this rack will be around after I'm gone--it is very sturdy.

I bought two of these from woodland direct: https://www.woodlanddirect.com/Woodhaven-Black-Firewood-Rack-5
We have a covered porch, so I don't need the covers. Not sure if they have a 4ft model, but they do have some options with full covers. I rarely buy things that I think will out last me, but I think this rack will be around after I'm gone--it is very sturdy.

That does look like a sturdy unit. Not sure if the half cover will work for me or not. For seasoning wood half cover is best but for already dried wood that I want to always be ready to burn I think I want to keep all the weather off.

Also not sure about hoops. They look nice, is that the only advantage?

You can get 2.. 2x4x8s at HD for 8 bucks
1 set of 4 ft ends for 24 bucks and a tarp for 12 bucks for a total of 44 bucks.. that beats the woodland for 165 dollers and only 5ft
Thanks. I've made some racks but this is at aside door entrance that needs to look nice. There are similar albeit less sturdy racks available for much less.

That does look like a sturdy unit. Not sure if the half cover will work for me or not. For seasoning wood half cover is best but for already dried wood that I want to always be ready to burn I think I want to keep all the weather off.

Also not sure about hoops. They look nice, is that the only advantage?

I've never tried a hoop rack--you wouldn't be able to hold as much wood per sq ft of floor space, so that is why I went with a more standard design. It looks like they do sell full covers: https://www.woodlanddirect.com/Woodhaven-5-Firewood-Rack-Cover-Black

It certainly wouldn't be cheap to buy both the rack and the cover, but I understand the aesthetic draw--my racks are on my porch, where most people enter the house. It is also why I started seasoning my wood in holz hausens--much better to look at than rectangular stacks..

I've never tried a hoop rack--you wouldn't be able to hold as much wood per sq ft of floor space
I guess the look of the hoop is all there is to it. Certainly less storage and access to that perfect split!

20181208_103957.jpg 20181208_133213.jpg

I put this one together in about 20 minutes this weekend with scrap in the basement.
I don't really like the hoop and wanted a bit more storage. I like the wood one a lot but i can't justify spending a ton of money on a rack but that's just me

Reactions: jatoxico
Thanks. I've made some racks but this is at aside door entrance that needs to look nice. There are similar albeit less sturdy racks available for much less.
You can make a diy look nice. A can of black spray paint for $.99, and a little attention to detail gets you most of the way to the look of the prefab ones.

I made a wood box with some scrap wood and a few 2x2x8
measures 60 wide 24 deep and 30 hi
Its great, I can throw wood in it, sits on my front porch.
Holds a few wheelbarrow loads. Big time saver

I copied this BOX i found on the interweb, But i used cedar

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 129
I made a wood box with some scrap wood and a few 2x2x8
measures 60 wide 24 deep and 30 hi
Its great, I can throw wood in it, sits on my front porch.
Holds a few wheelbarrow loads. Big time saver

I copied this BOX i found on the interweb, But i used cedar
Nice, I could definitely use something like that for inside. Currently using a small open rack but all the bark and stuff gets all over.