WOOD SEASONING

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

buildersteve02

Hearth Supporter
Jun 16, 2008
Michigan
Just thought i would pass this helpful info along. I set up a few facecords of wood in different areas of my yard due to limited space, and got the following results. This wood is a mixture of oak, maple, cherry, hickory, birch, and beech and each facecord contains each species listed. This wood was all split and stacked at the beginning of May.2008 and is stacked on homemade 2x4 wood racks and is uncovered. I have a cord out in the middle of the yard that gets sun and wind all day, and has seen alot of rain, this wood looks like it has been seasoned for 8-12 months already. The stove dealer[also lifelong woodburner] was out last week and said it was more than seasoned and ready to burn. I have a cord next to my garage that has sun all day but no wind, this wood has not seen any rain due to the long overhang of the garage. This wood looks like it has been seasoning for 2-3 months and will probably not be ready for burning until the middle of January. I also have a cord behind my shed that gets no sun, wind, or rain. This wood looks like it was just cut and split yesterday and at this rate I would be lucky if it's ready to burn by next winter! I thought by passing this along I might save someone some seasoning time. Thanks for reading.

Good info, Did you do a moisture meter test on the different areas? Best to have both wind and sun and if you don't have the space for it try to get a year ahead on your supply.

Good observations, the wood I have stacked in rows out in the sun and wind since April is ready to go. Moisture content measuring about 17-22%. Wheras, straight into the woodshed takes a full 12 months. This is all softwood of course. Just goes to show that the little extra stacking and moving is well worth it.

i believe the sun causes wood to turn greyish... like it cause things to fade ... my wood that is out in the sun is gray the wood thats under a tree and dry still has its color...most of its color... however they both feel seasoned.... now the wood out in the yard ...hmmmm another story that stuff got to much rain this summer and i don't believe it will be ready until...next year .....even the stuff that was split in april doesn't look like it will make it.........i need a dry windy august!!1

Good report steve...I tell every wood burner I know that the sun/wind/rain/weather is your friend...but still some insist on putting fresh C&S;into their woodsheds thinking the rain will spoil the wood.

buildersteve02 said:
Just thought i would pass this helpful info along. I set up a few facecords of wood in different areas of my yard due to limited space, and got the following results. This wood is a mixture of oak, maple, cherry, hickory, birch, and beech and each facecord contains each species listed. This wood was all split and stacked at the beginning of May.2008 and is stacked on homemade 2x4 wood racks and is uncovered. I have a cord out in the middle of the yard that gets sun and wind all day, and has seen alot of rain, this wood looks like it has been seasoned for 8-12 months already. The stove dealer[also lifelong woodburner] was out last week and said it was more than seasoned and ready to burn. I have a cord next to my garage that has sun all day but no wind, this wood has not seen any rain due to the long overhang of the garage. This wood looks like it has been seasoning for 2-3 months and will probably not be ready for burning until the middle of January. I also have a cord behind my shed that gets no sun, wind, or rain. This wood looks like it was just cut and split yesterday and at this rate I would be lucky if it's ready to burn by next winter! I thought by passing this along I might save someone some seasoning time. Thanks for reading.

Great to see somebody have the opportunity to do a little experimenting and a direct comparison like this. This certainly agrees with my more anecdotal observations. Thanks for the report!

Interestingly enough I have been having a very similar experience. I have wood stacked in my back yard (full sun and wind) which is the best seasoned. A stack against my house (no sun and limited wind) which looks hardly seasoned and I have a stack in my shed (ventilated but no sun or wind). The wood in the shed looks fresh cut and will be relocated outside asap.

Catskill said:
Interestingly enough I have been having a very similar experience. I have wood stacked in my back yard (full sun and wind) which is the best seasoned. A stack against my house (no sun and limited wind) which looks hardly seasoned and I have a stack in my shed (ventilated but no sun or wind). The wood in the shed looks fresh cut and will be relocated outside asap.

Good observations. get that shed wood outside in a single row asap. then put it back when you start seeing the cracks in the ends. if it rains a bit not to worry if you stack the top row barkside up on the top row. cheers.

sounds good but you should do a moisture test for a true comparison. what should the moisture be 20% or lower.

what have you guys gotten for rainfall?
here in mass we got over 13 in july 9 came in 48 hrs and i don't think we have had more than 2 days in a row with out some kinda rain since the second week of june!

iceman said:
here in mass we got over 13 in july 9 came in 48 hrs and i don't think we have had more than 2 days in a row with out some kinda rain since the second week of june!

I'm just down the road from you and yes it has rained allot. its raining now!!

iceman said:

Raining here now! .30" today and it is welcome.I'm a amateur meteorologist with a full weather station.Here in haddam we haven't had alot of rain like the northern part of the state! 4" June,3.69" July and so far .80" this month.I have 2 cords that i keep mostly under tarps and just got a cord for my new wood shed.Thinking of heading to Home Depot and picking up a moisture meter to see how the piles are doing.

stanleyjohn said:
Thinking of heading to Home Depot and picking up a moisture meter to see how the piles are doing.

Where abouts in Home Depot can you find the moisture meters? I was looking in my local one and didn't see any.

The sun's UV rays will discolor the wood, but that doesn't mean it's ready to burn. This means almost nothing without some moisture readings.

GunSeth said:
stanleyjohn said:
Thinking of heading to Home Depot and picking up a moisture meter to see how the piles are doing.

Where abouts in Home Depot can you find the moisture meters? I was looking in my local one and didn't see any.

Just took another look!seems meters only sold online,not in store.Im searshing online now for one

I ahve had similiar experiences. The wood that I split and stacked is out in the wide open and uncovered. Tis looking good already and has been there for about 2 months. I would assume that by mid October when I start burning it it should be ready. I will split a few pieces that are in the middle or bottom and put my moisture meter to it and see what I get

I had wood in a woodshed that was a few years old and as dry as you could imagine (last owners left it there). It still looked fresh.

I think that wind and sun will dry wood more quickly, but don't think that how it looks is a great indicator of dryness (as per Patapsco Mike)

I agree with Mr. No Pants. Appearances can be deceiving. Depends on species, sun exposure, and even on the individual tree.

Relatively speaking, use a moisture meter, it's the only way to be sure . . . . or what is, nuke'm from orbit, it's the only way to be sure. I forget.

and you must split a piece and then check with the moisture meter from the inside!

not doubting out inthe sun and wind is faster ... but it just goes to show that many people think (not saying the op) the wood is drying...or not drying the only way is to use a meter........some of my wood looks real fresh and it hasn't seen sun or water just whatever wind and has been sitting for yr already but it is red oak and much lighter than the oak split this past may..... it can be burned in oct the other stuff ...next year

Patapsco Mike said:
The sun's UV rays will discolor the wood, but that doesn't mean it's ready to burn. This means almost nothing without some moisture readings.

I agree. Kiln dried firewood or lumber looks fresh but only have a moisture content of 8% or so.

stanleyjohn said:
iceman said:

Raining here now! .30" today and it is welcome.I'm a amateur meteorologist with a full weather station.Here in haddam we haven't had alot of rain like the northern part of the state! 4" June,3.69" July and so far .80" this month.I have 2 cords that i keep mostly under tarps and just got a cord for my new wood shed.Thinking of heading to Home Depot and picking up a moisture meter to see how the piles are doing.

ok off topic could you tell me the long rane forecast for ct west mass? are we ever gonna break this rainy cycle???? and how does this winter look? nino/nina..... nao pos or neg???? i need dry air can you please send it up here??? please?

iceman said:
...and how does this winter look?

I predict, and I am going out on a limb here, that it will start on December 21.

BrotherBart said:
iceman said:
...and how does this winter look?

I predict, and I am going out on a limb here, that it will start on December 21.

0704 EST. Count on it. Rick

iceman said:
stanleyjohn said:
iceman said:

ok off topic could you tell me the long rane forecast for ct west mass? are we ever gonna break this rainy cycle???? and how does this winter look? nino/nina..... nao pos or neg???? i need dry air can you please send it up here??? please?
It's like a combination of Florida and Oregon here. It's either sunny AM, T-storms PM, clearing eve, or just plain cool , cloudy , and showery-rainy. Everyonce in a while a nice day. 12" of rain since July 18th. Avg this time of year is about 3.5 to 4" per month. This weather pattern looks to persist for the foreseeable future (whatever that is). Far as drying wood goes, it seems to me there's not a lot of magic to it. The warmer and dryer with more air movement it is, the faster it should dry. I always top cover, why wet it again?, but lots of air and as much sun as possible. Long dry spells which we aren't having, I'll remove top cover if I have time. NOAA has about as good a long term predictions as anyone. http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/produc...ason/13_seasonal_outlooks/color/churchill.php

Status
Not open for further replies.