WOOD SEASONING

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we've had about .5 in since the beginning of June. Bone dry here. Very good for wood drying. But not so good for the garden and hard on the water bill.

I have white oak that I cut split and stacked last september in a sunny windy spot, it's nice and gray with cracked ends and the bark starting to let go. Split open it's still 36%.

I also have 3 year old maple that has lived in the wood shed almost the whole time. It looks much fresher with the bark still intact but split open is only 17%.

Splitting a piece open you can tell even without a moisture meter what you have, looking at the exterior of the wood you really can't. Anything around 30% will feel slightly cooler and very slightly damp and also have a very slight pungent odor. At around 20% the fresh split will feel and smell dry. This works regardless of species.

I use my moisture meter like I use my stove thermometer, it really just confirms what I already knew.

we have gotten 2-6 inches the last 0-48 hrs... it just poured again.....
i covered mine before we got the 10 inches in 48 hrs a couple weeks ago...logging company called me today to tell me wood that shoulda been here in june as partly seasoned won't be until dec because with all the rain the state park won't allow them in and its been that way for since june... so they are taking another job

its raining.lightning too.

for us in mass cover it and take it off when you can this rain is like we live in seattle...this is crazy my stack is dry i am not taking it off for awhile

To properly seasdon wood, I like a little papirika along with salt and pepper.

Are you guys really this naive? We laugh at you.

Hawthorne said:
To properly seasdon wood, I like a little papirika along with salt and pepper.

Are you guys really this naive? We laugh at you.

lol please tell me how to properly season wood ....yes we are naive!!!!!

I swear, every 1 in 10 posts is about dryng wood. These guys must face constipation when dryng their laundry. This ain't rocket science. It's simple, and there are enough threads on the subject that a new thread is unwarranted.

Oh by the way, what stove should I buy?

Is pine ok to burn?

Do I have to clean my chimney?

Do I need a permit to install a stove?

Jeezzzzz... aren't you bored yet?

nuff said.

northof54th said:
Hawthorne said:

nuff said.

Interesting post at 11:30PM

i know isn't it?....
most of them come from people who are new with less than say 15 posts!
after all it is a hearth forum i guess if it upsets some people they could always read elsewhere??????

Hawthorne said:
I swear, every 1 in 10 posts is about dryng wood. These guys must face constipation when dryng their laundry. This ain't rocket science. It's simple, and there are enough threads on the subject that a new thread is unwarranted.

Is pine ok to burn?

nuff said.

I actually found this quite comical. Yeah I know.....new member/limited posts/already finding fault isn't going to be well recieved. But to be honest, he has a bit of a point.

Hawthorne, you just have to realize that most folks are here because they enjoy wood stove and fire wood, and simply talking about them. Even if most (not all) of the answers are blaitently obvious.

But thanks for the laugh, I needed it on this crappy ass rainy Friday morning. :lol:

Sure wish this rain would keep up!

(that way it would not come down)
Don

I wish my piles were clean as a whistle with all this rain.

I've got some sort of orange fungus growing on the stackof Apple all along the bottom splits. Just the bark, but still it looks like it's 20 years old.

Went from 3 inches behind with rain to about 4 inches ahead in less than three weeks.
I just got through watering the peaches in the end of June fearing tiny dry peaches (drought last year) when the rain started.

i just wish i had a wood pile :) .i start this sunday.

Tfin said:
Hawthorne said:

Is pine ok to burn?

nuff said.

I actually found this quite comical. Yeah I know.....new member/limited posts/already finding fault isn't going to be well recieved. But to be honest, he has a bit of a point.

Hawthorne, you just have to realize that most folks are here because they enjoy wood stove and fire wood, and simply talking about them. Even if most (not all) of the answers are blaitently obvious.

But thanks for the laugh, I needed it on this crappy ass rainy Friday morning. :lol:

ya know you are right... people could search and ao forth...... but if hes bored now wait till winter hits because its all gonna be "my stove isn't heating enough" "what temp should my stove be" but this is to be expected due the LARGE increase we are seeing of new stove owners..... this forum has really been busy this summer wasn't like this last year

iceman said:
Tfin said:
Hawthorne said:

Is pine ok to burn?

nuff said.

ya know you are right... people could search and ao forth...... but if hes bored now wait till winter hits because its all gonna be "my stove isn't heating enough" "what temp should my stove be" but this is to be expected due the LARGE increase we are seeing of new stove owners..... this forum has really been busy this summer wasn't like this last year

Very true! Ice did you get the storm at 10pm last night? it was a big one here.

iceman said:

And a lot of folks spending the night on the couch keeping an eye on that thing burning in the house the first few times. Even after all these years I remember that night well.

Hawthorne said:

Is pine ok to burn?

nuff said.

More than 'nuff, I'd say. Hawthorne, perhaps you should go moderate the "Guys Who Already Know Everything About Everything" Forum, and stop being so rude here. Rick

I, for one, appreciate the willingness of the members of this forum to answer questions that may have already been answered at some other time. I have been doing lots of searches to answer my questions, but sometimes a search doesn't always turn up the information that you are looking for.

theres allot of great members on here.ignore the others

The best subject specific gathering place on the Internet. People with a common interest and the least number of trolls anywhere. I hang out here way too much but there is so much to learn here that it is just great. And it is also great to see so many people coming into woodburning.

Status
Not open for further replies.