Wood shed on piers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My shed cost me about $300 for the supplies, but I already had the shingles. I went with this design basically because it is easier, and being on piers makes it a "non permanent structure" in my town.

Roxburyeric said:
3fordasho: what kind of tractor is that behind the shed with steel wheels? I got a 39 John Deere L.

Those belong to the nutcase next door that complains about my neatly stacked wood piles. Here yard is decorated with hundreds of trailer part knick nacks with those steel wheels being some of the better "items". One of my older neighbors actually likes my wood stacks, reminds her of good ole days ;-)

It's easier and stronger just to use poles direct buried in the ground. Are you avoiding that type of construction for some reason? I've got some barns I put in 40 years ago with 6" X 6" CCA treated poles and no rot yet. Now, CCA is hard to find, and 4" poles suited for direct burial are also rare to non-existant. Many places do sell treat 4" X 4"s, but not properly treated. Get 6" X 6" poles ACQ or Copper Azole teated to .31 or more, and the shed will outlast you. Sink them down to the frost line and no wind will ever move the building.[/quote]The reason I went with piers was the last home owner left 4 here and I only had to buy 2 more. Your the second person today to suggest I should have put the up rights in the ground and not have used the piers.

Shipper[/quote]

I went with the piers because right beyond my back yard is an no longer used limestone quarry. Can you guess what I hit everytime I dig down beyond 6-10"?

Its not much, but its done. Found a young man on craigslist who roofed my shed for me as with my knee replacement still not good there was no way I could have finished.

The damn thing in material cost alone was more than I ever thought. So it should keep the rain and most of the snow off till the wood can season.

I have more to put and get under roof. Just a pic of some apple and persimmon.

Shipper

Attachments

• hert lane 090_600_450.jpg
    hert lane 090_600_450.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 569
smokinj said:
Shipper50 said:
I am not a carpenter or builder by any stretch. My question is, if I use concrete piers to put 4x4's on can I build it with just the 4x4 standing without any anchor system? I have looked at many of the shed on here and cant tell if the builder used a plate or anchor to hold the 4x4 post up.

Thanks
Shipper
in indiana if you can get in to 4 inchs of clay usally starts at 36inchs you will not need concrete at all just back fill and it will never move or settle
That's right,I live in southern indiana as well and you can usually dig about 18" anywhere around here and find lots of red clay. Also putting gravel in the hole doesn't really help with drainage in my opinion, the water still can't exit the hole but when backfilled with tamped clay water has a very tough time entering the hole!

I'm not fond of the idea of putting wood on the ground. Rot, frost heaving if it isn't below the frost line hard to get nice and straight/square, too many issues. I build mine as a 4' x 8' deck with the decking boards spaced a few inches apart and placed the corners up on masonry blocks to keep the whole thing off the ground. Before I laid the blocks I mounded some pea gravel from the center to the four corners and laid plastic sheet to keep the moisture from the ground away from my wood and sat the blocks on the corners. The long, front and back deck joists are 8.5' and run past the ends by the width of the 4x posts so the post sits in an inside corner and is well secured to the deck with lag bolts. Set a nice roof on top of the posts and fill with a full cord of wood and it isn't going anywhere. The deck being off the ground give it one more side for air to circulate from and is a little easier on the back. And this way, if need be, the whole thing can be moved whenever it's empty. Hell, when I move I plan on taking these with me...

Attachments

• DSCN0034.JPG
    DSCN0034.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 408
  • DSCN0226_2.jpg
    DSCN0226_2.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 405
shipper 50 I hope you have some kind of metal strap to secure those rafters standing on edge (not just toe nailed).

awoodman said:
shipper 50 I hope you have some kind of metal strap to secure those rafters standing on edge (not just toe nailed).
The rafters are toe screwed with 2 1/2 inch screws I used on the whole shed. Guy who roofed it for me was up on it for over 2 hours total and it didn't fall over then. :roll: I forgot, the rafters are notched out to fit down over the cross pieces also. I said I wasn't a carpenter... ;-P

I did use straps to connect the 4x4 cross pieces to the up rights though.

Shipper

Good looking sheds . The deck blocks look like an nice idea and would be easier to move and install than digging post holes. Using some rebar or cinder block to anchor it would also be nice . I have my wood on pallets with plastic over the top and my neighbor who also burns says the piles of wood "look like money" to him, but I would like to make it look a little nicer next summer.

That's a super nice wood shed Shipper!
bravo-1.gif

Prada said:
That's a super nice wood shed Shipper!
bravo-1.gif
Thank you Prada, coming from someone who has a really NICE shed it makes me smile.

PS I have your shed pic with the snowing saved in my favorites. Tell your hubby he's a lucky guy. :)

Shipper

*Blush* Oh I will run and tell him right now!!! hehe
ththblissysmile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.