1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wood Splitter Air Filter

Post in 'The Gear' started by thewoodlands, Apr 9, 2012.

1. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

I'm thinking about taking the air compressor to it then clean it with warm water with soap in it, any suggestions what might work better.

zap

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Mine was made out of paper. Got rid of it and bought the washable k and n filter.
    MasterMech likes this.
  3. thewoodlands

Which one?
    http://www.knfilters.com/

zap
  4. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    MasterMech and zap like this.
  5. thewoodlands

Thanks Smokin, I'll have to do some more searching because the number I pulled off the net for the MTD filter is wrong.

zap
  6. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    If you are talking about the foam surround, that will work, but without a true washable filter (like Jay pointed to), your gonna end up with a mess. Stick to the air or replace. If using air, blow from the inside out, otherwise you can impregnate the filter element with the tiny particles.
  7. thewoodlands

If I get time tonight I will take a look at it, I think it is foam.

zap
  8. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Often times, there is a foam covering over a paper filter element.
  9. thewoodlands

Jags, it was pouring out last night so I never did get a chance to look but Sav was nice enough to email the correct numbers.

Air Filter # 491588
    Foam Pre-Cleaner # 491435
    Hydraulic Filter (have) 723-0405
    Spark Plug - Champion J19LM (have)
    Oil - SAE 30 (Have) Advance Auto Brand made by Havoline

The above numbers are for the MTD 20 Ton H/V 1996 Woodsplitter

zap
  10. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Cool beans - it confirms my thoughts about a foam filter before the paper filter. The foam can be cleaned with soapy water - or a can of carb cleaner and an air compressor can do the trick if it is nasty.
  11. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    Once you price the air filters the k and n starts to make alot of Cents'$.:)
  12. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

That filter should fit the newer MTD/Troy/Cub splitters with the Honda GC/GCV engines on them too. Should also be a go for you SpeeCo/Huskee 22/28 ton guys too.
  13. nate379

nate379 Guest

I wouldn't run a K&N on anything I own. Had them on a couple vehicles and they always dusted the intake, which stopped after I put normal paper filters in.

The final straw was on my Jeep when I had to pull the intake off for something else and I found a bunch of SAND in it from a trip at Moab, Utah. If that filter was letting sand get by can you imagine what else was going in the engine?!!

Most small engine filters are under $10 anyhow. How often do you really need to change a splitter's filter? If it gets used 20-30hrs a year, would be fine for many years.
  14. thewoodlands

I bought the recommended air filters through our local shop this morning, one was $2.95 & the other was $5.25 plus tax for a grand total of $8.77 plus a few good laughs over coffee.

I also bought the Stihl Precleaner (4221-141-0310 A) for the Air Filter on the 660, I'll use it when milling for an extra, change it out after about seven boards.

The young guy while making coffee got called into the back, he never put the carafe underneath so a couple of cups ended up on the floor before someone noticed.

zap
  15. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

491588S isn't exactly a wallet buster either. ;)

Trick with any K&N is getting it oiled right. Too little and you see dusting like you experienced, too much and it can oil your Mass Airflow Sensor, wreaking havoc. FWIW I've had several K&N products on my vehicles, past & present but I've yet to try any on a small engine.
    smokinj likes this.
  16. nate379

nate379 Guest

They were factory oiled, didn't keep them in long enough to need to clean them. I could blame weird fitment/goofed install on one vehicle, but not on several.