Wood stack started today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Get Wood

Nov 23, 2012
Flinton Ontario
I have 25 mid sized trees on the ground limbed and all the brush in pile ready to buck split and stack things were looking good then the black flies hit, I call them (flying teeth) makes it miserable to work. Anyway had a good day today as it was to cold for them, hope the little bastards freeze tonight.
Hope to get enough wood stacked in the next few days so I can join the grand order of The Firewood Hoarders Club LTD and maybe when I climb to the top of the ladder I could meet your illustrious leader Mr. Scotty.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 142
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 131
Hard to work firewood when the flies are biting .
Can you burn a smug fires to help keep them at bay?

Hard to work firewood when the flies are biting .
Can you burn a smug fires to help keep them at bay?

Can only burn anything here between 7 pm and 7am. I have a screen net shirt and covers your head too but is a little scary handling a chain saw, it is to hard to see what and where you are cutting.
They will be gone in a week or so, maybe this cold front will kill them.

Mosquitoes just starting to get bad here.
Bug dope works for them though.

It's the flies & no-see-ums that use bug dope as an appetizer :)

After it warms up I can handle the mosquitoes, don't seem to have no-see-ums here but I know what they are. I seem to have a reaction to these black flies, they cause a spot to swell about the size of a dime and itch four about a week. So I don't want many of them.
I have lots of time, not building for another year or two, want to do some traveling.

Have you tried a Thermacell? I'd go nuts without one for sure. Makes working outdoors much easier.

Details please Dennis........ I've been thinking of getting a thermacell. Which one? How well does it work? etc. Thanks

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/sear...ll&x=0&y=0&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

I just saw that they are on sale. The ones I have I paid $25 each and that was many moons ago. On sale for $20 in Cabelas right now.

How well does it work? The best I can say is the first time I really gave it a workout was a wet year like this year and I was late stacking wood. Went out one May day and made up my mind to finish the job. Betwix the black flies and mosquitos they about drove me nuts. But then I remembered the Thermacell and went to the house to get it. Now realize this was a really warm and extremely muggy day. I lit the thing and laid it down on the ground just so I would not step on it. After a couple minutes I got down to just a t-shirt on top and finished stacking the wood in a bit more comfort. I never got bit.

Wife loves it when picking strawberries. You have to be down near the ground so the skeeters are crazy. She just lays it down by her and picks. Then moves it ahead as she goes and no slapping or biting. I would hate to be without one!

Another time, I had an outdoor writer come and wanted to hunt and test some new archery gear. When he came I offered him a thermacell before we went into the woods. He was confident in his liquid stuff. During our walk in the woods he was constantly slapping and re-applied his good stuff 2 more times. I was in a t-shirt again and the skeeters nor black flies did not bother at all.

They actually work out to be quite economical. Basically they give you coverage in about a 15' radius. I've not tried the lantern but don't think they give any more coverage.

Thanks Dennis, I have been reading the reviews on it and everyone likes it and says it works as advertised. I am going to get one first thing tomorrow.

I wonder if it works on deer flies to. They will be here in about a month.

Believe it or not, I don't know. Usually by the time the deer flies are out the skeeters and black flies are gone so I don't carry one then.

Looks like you are on your way. Did you get your pallet tips from Pallet Pete? Kinda looks like his wood cribs there!
Keep collecting, we'll welcome you into the Firewood Hoarder's Club with open arms......you'll fit right in around here!

Status
Not open for further replies.