Wood stove and DHW suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jim_n_nh

Hearth Supporter
Jan 14, 2008
goffstown, nh
I know there have been similair threads but I am looking for a woodstove with a built in DHW coil. I have seen coal and pellet stoves with this. Any and all suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim,

You're not likely to find DHW coils in the firebox of any of today's EPA approved woodstoves, as the exchange of heat to the water would cool the firebox below secondary lightoff temperature, and without the secondary burn, the stove wouldn't pass EPA emissions testing.

Here's what the US Dept. of Energy has to say about retrofitting water coils:

"Although it may be physically possible to retrofit some woodstoves with a water heat exchanger, it is not advisable for certain types of stoves. EPA-approved wood-burning appliances are sophisticated in design, and a "do-it-yourself" retrofit may negatively affect their performance. Woodstoves with catalytic converters ("cats") require high temperatures to protect the catalyst from sooting up and loosing (SIC) their ability to work effectively. Non-catalytic woodstoves rely on a high temperature in the firebox for efficient and clean combustion. A hot water heat exchanger placed inside the stove can lower the temperature so far that it might reduce combustion efficiency and thus increase the amount of smoke produced. In any case, all of the manufacturers of woodstoves will void your warranty if you make such changes or alterations."

Yes, I have seen that link before in my quest. My house is small by today's standard and is superinsulated. Peak demad is around 24k btu's. I am strongly looking towards solar but would like to heat dhw with wood if possible. My wife will not commit to coal and here in New Hampshire we have a history of successive cloudy days. The heat from the stove will heat my house easily. A woodstock soapstone woodstove easily heats my entire house currently.

Please keep the suggestions coming.

Jim

Hello fellow New Hampshire person. I've thought about it. Use an old car radiator laying on top of the stove as the heat exchanger, maybe some shielding above that to capture the heat, a relief valve and a circulator pump to move it through the baseboards. I don't know how well it would work though, and as stated above, there are negative impacts of it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.