Wood stove connector pipe suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tone

Hearth Supporter
Oct 19, 2007
Long Island, NY
Well I chose the PE Alderlea T5 wood stove after much research. The blowing the heat downstairs is on hold for now. Ill be doing the install myself. I need double wall pipe from the stove to the 8' ceiling (about 58") where it will need an adapter to connect to an 8" through the attic chimney. The local dealer said I would need a telescopic double wall pipe $238 and an adapter $8. Looking online at ventingpipe.com I see Metal-Fab 6" 36-66" telescopic double wall pipe (Part #: 6DWBTL66) for $98. The The 6-8" increaser (Part #: 6DWBI-8) is $21.79

Will this work?
Do I need anything else like an adapter to connect to the stove?

Thanks,

Tony

The best way to figure out the pieces you will need for your particular installation is to look at Metal-Fab's instructions for installing their DWB pipe. The challenge will surely be mating up their pipe to the 8" from the ceiling up that is already there.

http://www.mtlfab.com/media/l801.pdf

I would think any 6" to 8" increaser should do since what is coming out of the ceiling should slide into the inside of the increaser. At least I hope so. It seems that I need an adapter to connect dw pipe to the stove. Are all stove outlets the same?

Any recommendations on brands of pipe or online places to buy?

Damper or no damper?

Thanks

I just found out by looking at the chimney in the attic that the brand is Amerivent by American metals products. The compatible double wall connector pipe is Ameritec. The only dealer that I can find online is woodsmanspartsplus.com and for the stove adapter, one section of telescopic pipe and the 6-8" increaser is $338. Thats more than double what I can get the same thing in Simpson, Metal-Fab, Metalbestos, etc.

That is crazy money to go 58" from the stove straight to the ceiling.

Any suggestions for a cheaper solution?

First of all explain your situation and why you need double wall connector pipe for clearance? If I get more info what about single wall pipe with a heat shield

I think the can be another way to get it done what stove and clearances specs needed I need more info

existing setup: 8" chimney to the 8' ceiling from an old Defiant. Hearth is brick 5ft wide 4ft deep to the back wall is brick to the ceiling against the sheetrock. The existing ceiling support is 15" on center to the face of the brick or... son of a gun! I just noticed that the brick is not against the sheetrock and their is about 1" air space at the top and two mortar joint holes on either side on the bottom. The stove is the T5 Alderlea (which was beginning to look more like an Englander) and the specs are here:

http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/cpacaldert5.htm

Does single wall pipe not suffer from the incapatability issues brand to brand?

Thanks

If there is a brick wall spaced one inch ,then single wall 24 gage black stove pipe is all that is needed

it is not brand specific all you have to do is run 6" up to a 6" to 8 " reducer which should fit into the interior of your 8" existing pipe Probably can be done less than $50

Another gage better is using 22 gage pipe welded seam connector pipe. You could run 8" connector pipe from the 6 to 8 reducer starting from the flue collar
There are single wall slip connectors that make the installation even easier

Wonderful! Thanks so much. I ordered the T5 today.

Which will give me a better draft. the 6 or 8" from the stove to the ceiling? The overall chimney height is not very high. 15' at most.

Status
Not open for further replies.