Wood Stove Glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurningDesire

Mar 18, 2016
Eugene, OR
I have a Lopi Freedom wood stove insert. I have had it since 2009. Overall, I'm extremely happy with this stove, with one exception: The glass in the door. About every 2 to 3 years, it randomly cracks. I mean I'm just standing there by my stove, the fire's going nicely, all's well with the universe, then I hear it: "Pink!" and sure enough, there it is: a nifty crack all the way through my stove's glass. Super freaking neat-o. My ex boyfriend had THE exact, same insert and has THE Exact same problem.

Before I anyone bothers to write the standard explanations, e.g.:
a) The glass was screwed down too tight.
b) The door was tapped with a wood poker which created a small crack then finally got bigger.
c) Too large a piece of wood was put into the stove and it bumped the glass and created a small crack that finally got bigger.

I have already heard them all, and to them, I reply: HOG WASH! On all three counts, a resounding "Nope." I do not care what anyone insists, none of these factors plays any part in the cracking of my wood stove glass. On all three counts, I am EXTREMELY, FASTIDIOUSLY careful not to let them happen.

The HARD, COLD truth is this: the damned glass just fails. It's not that big of a deal to do the replacement, but the price is appalling: $133.00. I just had to rant, because I'm on my way into town to slap down the extortion money for yet another one - the third replacement since fall of 2009. BLOODY HELL!

Last edited:
Bummer. There could be a common thread. Perhaps the glass is a skotch too tight and is getting cracked by the expansion of the door when hot?

Where was the door glass purchased from and who installed the glass? Have you tried a good quality glass shop or ordering a replacement online and replacing it yourself ?

www.onedayglass.com

Bummer. There could be a common thread. Perhaps the glass is a skotch too tight and is getting cracked by the expansion of the door when hot?

Where was the door glass purchased from and who installed the glass? Have you tried a good quality glass shop or ordering a replacement online and replacing it yourself ?

www.onedayglass.com

Thanks for your sympathy.:confused: It is a bummer, man.

The first crack happened within 2 years after the installation of the stove - so it was a factory installed glass.

Next, I bought glass from Midgelys Fireplace Center in Eugene, Oregon -- http://www.midgleys.com/ -- in fact, all of my replacement glass was purchased from them. I assume that they are selling me high quality glass.

In the first replacement, I installed the new glass, careful not to tighten it too tight -- EXTREMELY cautious.

The next, my daughter's fiancé installed, he was just as cautious and careful. This time, I will again have him do the work, replacing the gasket at the same time.

We are very smart people. We know how to do things right. Seriously, I am convinced this is a product failure issue. I understand that glass is not a static product/substance. I am certain the product changes after enduring the rigors of high temperatures and expansion and contraction through the wood burning season. I just really believe that it is performing within its physical parameters which in simple terms means: the glass is going to crack after a while and that's that. I just wish it didn't cost so much for a replacement, and of course, the cracks occur during burn season... it's cold out... can't burn in a stove with no door. :mad:

AFAIK reports for glass failure on this insert are not common. Place a 2-3ft. straight edge on the door and make sure it's not warped.

I will try that, but pretty remarkable coincidence that two different stoves of this model purchased at about the same time both have had the same problem, from factory installed glass through 3 replacements.

This is definitely not a common problem on the Freedom, or any stove for that matter. Very strange.
My freedom is probably 15 years old and still on its original glass.

My guess, and it's just that, is the door is warping just enough to crack the glass but not enough to be noticeable or cause a leak. Other than that, I got nothing. Sorry.

If the door is warped it should be a warranty replacement item.

Possibly when the glass gasket was installed too much cement was used making the gasket hard and solid. Also, did replacement gasket get installed under the glass retainers? If either of these are the case it could prevent the glass from expansion and cause a crack.

Possibly when the glass gasket was installed too much cement was used making the gasket hard and solid. Also, did replacement gasket get installed under the glass retainers? If either of these are the case it could prevent the glass from expansion and cause a crack.
The gaskets I've put on don't require cement. I'm a little curious about the gasket. Was a new one used each time? I think a new one should be used when glass is replaced because once they are used all the cushion is gone.

Something went wrong, this is very uncommon. If the door is not warped then time to look at the installation. The connecting thread appears to be the person replacing the glass. Perhaps the retaining clips are being tightened too much or the glass gasket is wrong or installed incorrectly?

The gaskets I've put on don't require cement. I'm a little curious about the gasket. Was a new one used each time? I think a new one should be used when glass is replaced because once they are used all the cushion is gone.
Some do, some don't require cement.

We have hundreds of Lopis out there and might replace one or 2 pieces of glass a year. All that I can remember claimed responsibility for it, they knew exactly what caused it. Using it as a log hammer...

I wonder if the sealing edge of the door frame is torqued a little. Then no matter what you do with the door, you can't overcome a flaw in the mating surface???

I wonder if the sealing edge of the door frame is torqued a little. Then no matter what you do with the door, you can't overcome a flaw in the mating surface???
But once a gasket is folded over the glass it really becomes a matter of torque on the fasteners. The cushion of the gasket will allow a lot of expansion an contraction, but if overtightened it won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.