Wood Stove install & cathedral Ceiling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, finished the install on February 18th. Have been running the stove (Heatilator WS-22) since then almost constantly. Burning a mixture of hickory and oak with mix seasoned and partially seasoned wood to get the stove to run longer at the right temperature. After trying many different variations of loading wood I found I am able to get the stove to run for up to 10-12 hours by packing it full and fairly tight with a mixture of wood ranging from 10% MC to 30% MC and letting the stove top get to about 650 degree F keeping the stoves damper completely open.(There is no flue damper installed) This allows the Secondary combustion to REALLY start firing up and having virtually no smoke coming from the chimney cap outside ( no "visible" smoke). Once that is achieved I shut the damper down to its lowest setting and the thing cruses anywhere from 475-625 degree F(again middle of stove top temp reading) for several hours until there is a nice bed of coals. At that point the stove top will range from 250-400 degrees F and still not be emitting smoke from the chimney. When I do load it full an run in as stated I can do that about an hour before bed to make sure its "crusing" at the correct temperature range and when I check it 8-10 later the stove top still reads around 300 degrees F. Doing this gets the living room/kitchen area its installed in to about 80 degree F, Basement stays around 66-70 depending on several factors, and the upstairs master bedroom will range from 70-74 Degree. I have no blower install and no fans running except the central air circulation fan is constantly running helping distribute the heat throughout the house. I would say I am happy with the outcome and effectively heating my entire 1 1/2 story home with this stove. Im sure having so much pipe inside also helps. It was suggested to me that all the wood finishing on the walls, ceilings and floors in the house help hold thermal heat as well which is allowing me to not have to keep the stove "blazing" all the time to keep it very cozy. Thanks for all the help and comments, you have all contributed to this project. They are very much appreciated, and allowed me the confidence to undergo this project myself. I want to especially thank my dad ( Tavery) as he showed up to help install all of the Chimney from the stove all the way through the ceiling/roof to the chimney cap in a single day. Had to use scaffolding three sections high to get the job done right. It was a challenge due to the ceiling being 20' tall and the room being only 14' wide. Here are some pictures for you to view of the project.
butu2une.jpg
anyda9av.jpg
u2ujujys.jpg
a3y4atu2.jpg
dabyhadu.jpg
ejugesuz.jpg
qyteqeza.jpg
dunusume.jpg
ta8ary8y.jpg
aryja2un.jpg

Reactions: TomMcDonald
Status